Digitrax SDH164D with installed sound projects

In order to use the custom sound files, you also have to have either the PR-2 or PR-3 programmers from Digitrax.

In order to use the custom sound files, you also have to have either the PR-2 or PR-3 programmers from Digitrax.

No, Cjcrescent, what I was trying to say is that Ulrich Models has the programer. They will preload the decoder with the sound project that the buyer selects from the list at the time of purchase. This saves me the money of not buying the programer from Digitrax. I have not seen this from any hobby shop before. I hope this clarify's my original post. I thought others might like to know that this option was available. If you go to the link I posted you can see a drop down box where the buyer can pick from a list of sound projects to have installed at Ulrich Models.
-Art

Last edited by a moderator:
Be cautious with these cheap decoder, I have a soundbug that I bought since i already had the digitrax programmer to use with JMRI and my super empire builder dcc system. I remember that i also had to contact the digitrax support about it since, when i sounded the horn a couple time, the loco slowed down. Further reading on the web showed its a common issue, the only way fix that problem is to disable BEMF, not much of a downer, but bring question on build quality.
Notching is not pretty realistic on the decoder also, if you stop after reving the engine over notch 1, and change direction the sound restart to notch 1. The sound engine gets saturated also quite quickly. prime mover + bell + horn sound just disgusting. there is still some use for it, I used mine to be horn+bell only on my acela express, i removed all the other sounds.

But programmable sound decoder are a good idea, you can reuse them as much as you want in many loco but you have to invest into the brand computer usb dongle/programmer; loksound and qsi are both updatable by user, and qsi is selling now a new stereo sound decoder for two independant speaker that look excellent for steam engine.

Julien: I have had two of the new QSI (Titan) decoders ordered and waiting for a couple of months. The delay has been caused by some sort of a sound loading problem that has to do with capabilities to download different files. This decoder is going to be a "honey" and worth waiting for.
If you know anything different and that they are now at the retailers, please let me know so that I can get on Tony's tail.:)

They are in stock at ulrichmodels, but for now there is only the sound for the UP turbine available for download

Thanks a lot. I will check at Tony's for anything new. I am trying to get two for some
H16's. A bit expensive since I only paid $25 each for the locos....but what the heck ;):D

titan stero sound will be available on this schedule : Steam sound will be available at the end of august and diesel in late september. in the meantime, you can still load a revolution sound inside the titan decoder (cannot balance between the 2 speaker).

Thanks again Julien. i'll be watching for the diesels. I had originally ordered the QSI Revolution-U, but Tony's suggested I wait for the Titan. I went along with it so it would give me an opportunity to test it out. I have some loco's that would really shock-and-all the vistors if they had 64 bit stereo (32/channel) ;).

Oh, OK. That wasn't too clear in the OP. How much for them to program the decoder?

That's the best part Cjcrescent, no charge for the programing. You just pick the sound project from the choices on their web page and it comes to your house with the custom sounds that you request. I just got my 2 controllers yesterday. They labeled them for me so I could put the correct decoder in the proper engine. I installed 1 last nite in my step son's Athearn Blue Box GP40 and the testing was successful. Now I have to find a way to squeeze the speaker and controller chip inside the shell.
-Art

Back