Digitax zephyr

Bristolman2012

Programmed new dcc equipped ho engine (atlas master ). Engine runs fine but no lights ( equipped ) . instruction manual says to press lamp 0 ? . Fails to tell you how to get to lamp 0 . Help please Digitrax gurus .
mike

Is this a steamer you bought? if so lights are not very bright, (they use "warm white" so it's not supposed to be), but if you know which decoder it is you might be able to make it brighter by changing it's CV. On an older Diesel (I know you said it's NIB) I meant an older style like a GP 7 it's the same.
Exactly which loco did you purchase ?

Apologies just checked the Atlas website, no steamers, so what did you get ? And does the box say LED lights ?

Gp 38 smudge , Burlington northern . going To order some LEDs and resistors . Going to do ditch lights too .
mike
Hold up, you may not need resistors best check the decoder, depending on what's inside, could be an ESU 21 pin which has its own resitors or an 8 pin, also how many functions, a Lokpilot5 Basic only has 4, so ditch lights would have to be run through your headlight (F0)

I’ll get online smudge and see if I can find in the box info on engine . it has atlas dual mode decoder ( not made anymore ) .does run well ,
mike

Last edited:
I’ll get online smudge and see if I can find in the box info on engine . it has atlas dual mode decoder ( not made anymore ) .does run well ,
mike
Mike, if it's a dual mode decoder I'd swap it out, I've heard that they can be problematic, but as I don't use them myself it's only what I've read on this and other forums.

I think you may have to do that anyway if your wanting extra light functions, again, not 100% on that either.

If it is one of the black-box Atlas with the green dual-mode decoder label, it's probably at least 15 years old. Among other things, it had incandescent bulbs instead of LEDs, and the decoder itself was not anything to write home about.

it was the one of the ones atlas recommended . TCS 1000 ~ A4X ~ HO Drop In PNP ~ DCC Motor Decoder For Atlas, Athearn, Kato, Etc
and thx for help and concern smudge .
mike

Anyone has a lead ( video or how to ) to swapping dual decoder atlas master gp-38 to regular decoder ? Seems a lot for dcc and sound but not regular dcc only . A little nervous first attempt at this .
mike

Those decoders are easy to swap. The power leads from the trucks go on the connections at the outside ends for the decoder, the lights go to the light leads in the center, and the motor leads go on the motor connections. If the thing runs backwards from the headlights, reverse the motor connections on the decoder.

Back