diggitrax

emt49

internets worst speller
:mad: i orderd a super empirebulder set from a local hobby shop he in turn had to order it from diggitrax . i orderd this a week befor christmass my LHS told me that it maybe a few weeks because around christmass diggitrax selles out of its stock.it's now been over a month and it's still not here and i am told by diggitrax that it may still be another 4 weeks.

sorry guys i just wanted to rant because i am not happy about the 2 month wate till get my order is in this just sucks . :mad:

Don't feel bad, I too am in the club of waiting for DCC, I am trying to get some TCS decoders from my LHS, and have to wait while they get setup as a dealer, not sure how long this takes, but I have been waiting for over a month myself :(

I feel for you. We're spoiled down here because our local Digitrax dealer (individual) stocks most of the stuff in his basement. You can go over, visit, and get what you want (can afford :D ). I hope your system gets in soon. It'll be worth the wait.

Don't feel bad. Digitrax is way behind on their orders because they're swamped with orders from everybody, and production hasn't kept up. Most every dealer out there has been shorted on their orders as well.

It's been a topic of discussion the other day on the Digitrax list.

PS. Their repairs line is way behind as well.

Kennedy

Digitrax
fence.gif
Others

NKP-Nscale said:
How is the MRC Prodigy Express for a small layout? It has what I need.
Nate

Nate

I am going MRC also (ducks from the rocks ;) ) and I would recommend you spend the extra $50-75.00 and go with the Advanced version. I can't remember off the top of my head but there will be features you will want that Express doesn't have, wait, I remember now, you can't read the decoders in Express, but can in Advanced, also the consitting/MU feature is better on Advanced. If you shop around, you can get an MRC Prodigy Advanced for about $180.00, if you can't locate a dealer with that price, PM me, I know of a company that will sell at that price (and no it's not my LHS) and get you his name and number.

I'd be interested in your feedback on the Advanced. Many of us don't hear much about it (other than the usual bad-mouthing). I'd think that user-feedback on the Advance, especially if you've had some experience with the other brands, would be useful.

Kennedy

I have a Prodigy Advance and am quite pleased with it. The things it doesn't have are things I didn't particularly need, but if you need them, you'd be better off with a different system. Some of those things are wireless control (though MRC may be coming out with this sometime soon), computer interface and backlit controller. Again, since I didn't need these things, the PA was the best choice for me in terms of features for the price. In particular, I like the layout of the throttle controller, and the simplicity of the system. The throttle layout feels very natural, and includes both a rotary knob and push buttons for throttle control. The function keys and other control keys are well layed out and logically placed. The display includes all the information that I expect, and does so in a well layed out format.

It was very easy for me to set up, so I had trains running rather quickly after unpacking the box. This, of course, depends on you layout and whether or not you have decoder equipped locomotives already. Everything I needed to get started came in the box (except the track and decoder equipped locomotive). It was a simple plug and play setup.

To me, the instructions were well written and well layed out, so I didn't have any trouble getting things set up and running. I did have the advantage of spending a fair amount of time learning the DCC vocabulary when I was researching systems, so I wasn't in the dark about terminology when reading the instructions.

Tony's train exchange has some very useful information about selecting a DCC system, including a small handbook about DCC for beginners and a comparison chart of the various systems that are available. If you're interested, you can check it out at: http://www.tonystrains.com

When I took my PA system to work to show a couple of the guys there, they both decided to go this way also, and now both have a system of their own. I decided to order a second throttle for my system, and the price was very reasonable. I then ordered the "Power System 8" booster, which is also very reasonably priced (when you shop around). I haven't had a need to use the booster yet, but bought it anyway because of the great deal I got on it. So far I only have about $370 in my DCC system (not including decoders/locomotives), and that price includes the PA, the second throttle, the 8 amp booster and a four section circuit breaker. This is probably as much DCC system as I could ever need, so I don't plan to replace it until it no longer works properly (which hopefully won't be for many years).

If you have the opportunity to try out the PA for yourself, I recommend taking the opportunity. See how easy the system is to use. Try out the features you think you'll be using. Try the various functions (if you have a way to test them). One that I think is really neat is the "Yard mode" that allows you to use the knob to change the trains direction and speed.

I have been using MRC Prodigy Advance about a year now, and so far I like it alot. It is very user friendly and packed full of features. I am still in the beginning phases of ops sessions, but it has been good so far with 5 operators. I am also using an 8 amp Power Booster with it. :D

One of my operating group members has a Prod Express handheld. It works just fine with my PA, except he cannot control accessory decoders (turnouts), and he does not have the fast clock feature.

My experience with Digitrax is limited only to my club layout experience. I have found it to be confusing, and unreliable. By the way, the club has been "rewiring" the layout for over a year now and has not had an ops session. What does that tell you?:eek:

Why should I read a 400 page operator manual when I have the instructions right on the back of the PA handheld?:cool:

emt49 said:
:mad: i orderd a super empirebulder set from a local hobby shop he in turn had to order it from diggitrax . i orderd this a week befor christmass my LHS told me that it maybe a few weeks because around christmass diggitrax selles out of its stock.it's now been over a month and it's still not here and i am told by diggitrax that it may still be another 4 weeks.

sorry guys i just wanted to rant because i am not happy about the 2 month wate till get my order is in this just sucks . :mad:

I just added a Radio Super Chief to my system for to expand the layout (add another block), and to have radio control. I too had to wait about 6 weeks from the time of order to the time it arrived (last Monday). The dealer (LHS) told me that most manufacturers cease production in November to unload existing stock and avoid a manufacturing tax imposed on stock they carry. I have heard this from several sources so I believe it is true. Most small companies (ie: most manufacturers in the hobby) also do not produce all their items at the same time. Hopefully your Super Empire Builder will be in your hands as you read this post. I have been using the Super empire Builder and love it! I know you will too. I did not not find it difficult to use although with all techie gadgets there is a learning curve. Have fun with your trains!

Ray

The only item you listed that would be a 'must' for me is the computer interface. That's because I use Decoder Pro to program with, and also track all the different settings on all the locos I own. It's certainly not something that everyone needs, but those of us who use Decoder Pro finds it useful.

Prior to, I kept track of stuff on a spreadsheet, which I could still do now.

But, all in all, I think that if folks find the PA to be 'just as good' as the big boys, more power to you all.

Besides, if you really want to hook up a computer to program your locos, you can always go with SPROG....

http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/

Kennedy

Back