Defect cards and Incident reports

Rico

BN Modeller
I just printed off a new batch of Operating Cards and got to wondering if anyone else does this, or would like to know anything about it.
I use a business card program and usually run off a couple dozen at a time.

First the Incident Report Cards:
I use these to keep track of derailments or other track problems I encounter running trains. They keep track of things like the frequency of problems, locations, car(or cars) involved, etc.
For instance, I had one coal car that constantly derailed on the Spencer East crossover switch when traveling Westward, but only when being pushed in a reverse movement.
I had several cards accumilating that showed derailments on the West yard lead, all with trains that were Eastbound. (turned out to be a misaligned joiner)
Here's more or less what the cards look like, (without the nifty BN logo in the corner):

Burlington Northern Railroad
Lake Winifred Subdivision
Incident Report
Date: ___________ Car#: ____________
Direction of Travel: East ____ West ____
Train Movement: Fwd ____ Rev ____
Defect Detected: Yes ____ No ____
Details: ___________________________

You may notice that I only show East / West movements, That's because my timetable has no North South, as this would be towards the back or front of the layout. Also, this shows train movements either pushing or pulling East or pushing or pulling West, this makes a big differance when you're determining the cause and effect of derailments.

Next the defect cards. These are very handy for keeping track of problems with rolling stock. They are sometimes used in conjunction with the Incident cards in derailments or such.
If a car does not have to be removed imediately for repair, but can still be operated or sent to the RIP track I fill one of these out:

Burlington Northern Railroad
Lake Winifred Subdivision
Defect Card
Road Name: ____________
Car Number: ____________
Car Type: _________ A _ B _ End
Coupler __ Air Line __ Grab Iron __
Wheel __ Axle __ Bolster __
Door/Gate __ Hatch __ Walkway __
Other: ________________________

Well that's about it in a nutshell. I'm not a stickler for proto operation but these not only serve a purpose but add a touch of realism to the layout.
Okay I'll admit a pencil and scrap of paper does about the same thing... but if you've ever considered using an El Cheapo system like this I'd highly recommend it!
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico, I haven't done anything like this but it's not a bad idea. I know that certain cars are a problem but I just set them aside and think I'll get to it one of these days. Since I have about three times more cars than the capacity of the layout, the defective cars are starting to pile up. Trouble is, I can't remember what some of the defects were that happened six months ago. With your system, at least I could rubber band a card around the car so I could remember what I was suppposed to fix when I finally got around to it.

Say Rico,
Your cards sound like a very useful way to keep tract of the various things that take place on a layout and with the equipment.

Thanks for posting, I'm going to make use of similiar cards myself.

Rico, I would be interested in seeing your operating card sample as well. I would like to eventually get into realistic opertion. Thanks for info.

Back