Decoder Functions

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Im looking to put together a list of TCS decoders for all my engines i have. my question is how many functions should i get? Do i need 4 and 6 function decoders? If so do i have to buy the decoder and the harness? TCS doesnt sell them together with the 4 and 6 function decoders.... What does the harness do?

As you can tell, im completely new to DCC lol

the locos i have are from Athearn (both RTR and Genesis), Atlas (Silver Series) and KATO. Should i get regular, 4 or 6 function decoders for these?

thanks in advance

the harness is for locomotives with plug and play. If your locomotive is not plug and play, then you don't need the harness (regular decoders come with wires for you to solder in)

Functions are only needed if you want to add extra lights or effects. 2 functions is enough if you want directional headlights (one front, one rear)

The more functions you have, the more versatility. With more functions, you can add ditch lights, marker lights, independant number board lights, cab interior lights, etc.

the harness is for locomotives with plug and play. If your locomotive is not plug and play, then you don't need the harness (regular decoders come with wires for you to solder in)

Functions are only needed if you want to add extra lights or effects. 2 functions is enough if you want directional headlights (one front, one rear)

The more functions you have, the more versatility. With more functions, you can add ditch lights, marker lights, independant number board lights, cab interior lights, etc.

Thanks for the reply and the explanation :D Im eventually going to want to add extra things in my engines, so i might as well just stick a 4 or 6 function decoder in all of them just in case lol

Now for the engines, I found a list: http://www.tcsdcc.com/HO_Search/search.html

But it doest have Atlas Dash 8-40B' or Dash 8-40BW's and some of my Athearn Loocs like the SD70M, SD75I, SD60 and SD50's. How do i know which decoders to use?

Most likely your Athearn have a 9pin JST type plug. A TCS 1021 T1 decoder would do the job. I think that the Atlas' have an 8-pin NMRA plug so a TCS 1022 T1P should work.

Ryan Thanks for the info :D

If i remember, you do DCC installs right? How much would you charge for 3 Athearn RTR GP38-2's?

Back