decoder and low speed and no speed

jim81147

I don't really understand anything about decoders and setting CV's and such , so I figured I would just ask those that do understand , my questions. I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 that is decorated for Durango and Silverton RR and the slow speed performance is poor . I figured it might be when I bought it but the DSRR is only 45 miles from me so its my local RR and I just figured I should have it . Anyways , if I change the stock decoder ( no sound) with a better decoder , will that improve loco performance at slow speeds? If so can anyone recommend a tried and true decoder? I don't need it to do a lot of things , as I said , because I don't really understand how to take full advantage of them and it doesn't have sound , but I would like something to better the control if that's possible .

So after I test run the Bachmann , I thought I would set up another 2-8-0 I have . Its a BLI . I set it on the track and got nothing ( I program on the main with an NCE system ) There were no other loco's on the track . I read through the manual and it said that I should reset to default and try it again . My choices were to set CV 8 to 8 but I don't know how to do that . My other option was to pull the tender body off and press a reset button while turning on track power . That I could do , so I did . The book said I would hear some sound when the reset took place . It never made a sound so I powered down the track and tried it all again with the same result . The loco did nothing , no sound , light , movement , just totally dead . Would this mean that the decoder is bad ? Thanks for any help you can offer.

I don't really understand anything about decoders and setting CV's and such , so I figured I would just ask those that do understand , my questions. I have a Bachmann 2-8-0 that is decorated for Durango and Silverton RR and the slow speed performance is poor . .., if I change the stock decoder ( no sound) with a better decoder , will that improve loco performance at slow speeds? ...So after I test run the Bachmann , I thought I would set up another 2-8-0 I have . Its a BLI . I set it on the track and got nothing ( I program on the main with an NCE system ) There were no other loco's on the track . I read through the manual and it said that I should reset to default and try it again . My choices were to set CV 8 to 8 but I don't know how to do that . My other option was to pull the tender body off and press a reset button while turning on track power . That I could do , so I did . The book said I would hear some sound when the reset took place . It never made a sound so I powered down the track and tried it all again with the same result . The loco did nothing , no sound , light , movement , just totally dead . Would this mean that the decoder is bad ? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Yes, a better quality decoder will allow you to fine tune the lowest voltage setting that actually gets the motor to begin to move the locomotive. That CV, by the way, is found in CV2. New Bachmann locomotives, at least their steamers, take a fair whack of voltage in DCC to get moving. That has been my very limited, and I do mean limited, experience. You may need to set CV2 to a value of about 40-60. Normally a value between 8-20 suffices in HO.

Which decoder? You can take your pick from Soundtraxx, TCS, LokSound, and QSI. I have enjoyed good success with QSI Titans, but I managed to get a Soundtraxx Tsunami Heavy Steam variant to move a BLI non-DCC 4-8-4 to move just like a real locomotive. It is complicated and involves setting multiple CV's in the 200's.

BLI Paragon locomotives don't do anything when you first power up the track. They will sit silently until you acquire the correct address for the decoder that is currently set, and then only once you dial in a first speed step. Once you dial in the correct address, the loco will come alive and make sounds and move as soon as you give the decoder a signal to move the loco. Your first bet is Add "03" since that is the factory default. Also, make darned good 'n sure you have the plug inserted in the correct orientation under the cab and that you have it inserted fully until it can go no more.

Most decoders require a proper reset, whatever is described in their manual, and only afterwards do you cut power to the track. Fully. Restore the power, acquire Add "03" since that is the reset/default address, and as soon as you give it a first throttle speed step it should come to life.

If you have the tether plug fully inserted in the correct orientation, have power to the rails, have the loco and tender correctly set upon the rails, and have both acquired the current address for the decoder AND assigned it the first speed step, and it doesn't work..you have a bad decoder or wiring job.

Thank you Crandell , I think I might try a different decoder in the Bachmann , I will have to see if I can find a tutorial on setting CV's before anything . For the BLI , I think I did just as you say , 3 times , but I will go down and try once more before calling BLI . Thanks for the info.

Back