DCC Wiring Plan

A

ajroland

I have run into some problems while trying to wire my first layout. Can someone help show me where to make the connections. I am posting a sketch of my layout. I will take any help that you can offer.

Well, I don't see any reversing loops or wyes to deal with, so just connect one wire from your command center to one rail and the other wire to the other rail. Anywhere will work, but you really need to do the followng:

It is advisable to have "power drop feeds" about every 6-9 feet. This distance is sometimes argued a bit, but it helps maintain power continuity throughout your track. Ideally, you will run a pair of 12-16 gauge wires (depends on amount of track) under your layout and connect the command centers rail power wires to this. Then drill a hole at various points between the ties and run and connect a pair of wires to this bus. You can solder the wires to the outside of the rails or you can buy Atlas joiners that have the wires already attached.:)

found a short

Thanks, I made a short tester using a beeper and 9 volt battery, it has helped. I found a few problem switches and worked the problem out. Thanks for your help.

Oh, I thought your problem was not knowing how to wire up. Yes power routing turnouts, bad track joiners, and many other things can give you a headache. When you need to, just ask more specifically giving the symptoms and we can help get you going. ;)

Thanks, I made a short tester using a beeper and 9 volt battery, it has helped. I found a few problem switches and worked the problem out. Thanks for your help.

That's a great idea. Can you post just a simple schematic of how you made the short tester? Sounds like it's a lot easier than trying to see a meter three feet away pointed in the wrong direction. :)

website

wiringfordcc.com is the web site you can find the plans for the beeper. I bought the beeper at radio shack. Let me know if this helps. I can sketch out the plans if need be.

Thanks, I'll check it out on that web site and let you know if I have any questions. An electical genius I'm not so something that buzzes at me when there's a short I find very appealing. :)

Looks like a great track plan ! I would advise you get yourself a multimeter. You can get a very inexpensive one at MCM Electronics. Here's a page link.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/search.aspx?C=3830075&p=7

Take a look at 72-7940 ... It's only $10.49 and you can do a lot more with it then a beeper.
Click on the picture of the meter for details

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
My little pocket sized multimeter has a beeper built in for continuity. Kind of handy, as you don't have to look at the meter, just listen for the beep.

Rotor

I need one of those, Rotor. What's the name and model number and where did you get it? I've got a nice digital multimeter, which is great in good light and if you can see the readout. It's lousy when you're doing contortions under the layout trying to find a short and need to hold the meter in your mouth so you can see it. :)

Back