DC Vs DCC

When I built my present layout (folded dogbone around a 14' x 14' purpose-built room), I wired it for DC with individual blocks that are completely insulated from each other (both rails have insulated joiners), with DPST On-OFF toggles plus DPDT toggles for polarity reversing. I wired the layout using 12 AWG buses just in case. (I wear a belt and suspenders on my pants!) I have about 100 DC locos collected over the last 60+ years or so. But I liked the idea of having some locos with sound, hence DCC. I initially bought an MRC Tech6 6.0 DCC power setup to handle any DCC + Sound locos. Although the Tech6 6.0 has DCC/DC dual capability, I didn't like the idea of potentially burning up any of the Canon coreless motors (no longer available) I installed in some of my kitbashed Mantua steamers. Since I only run one train at a time (and have difficulty walking and chewing gum at the same time), I installed a DPDT toggle on the main control panel, with a DC control pack on one side and the DCC pack on the other. That way, I can tell at a glance which system is powering the layout. Left is DC, right is DCC. As to sound, I have installed a TCS WOWSound decoder in two of my steamers. I have acquired a few DCC/Sound equipped diesel, but there is NO WAY I am going to convert all my older DC units. Couldn't afford it; some are too small to fit a decoder in; wouldn't have enough time if I did nothing else on my bucket list for the next 25 years or so! I may change out the MRC DCC pack for an NCE PowerCab, as I would like to be able to use 4-digit address numbers for my E5A&B and E7 and E8/9 Zephyrs.

Back