Dave's Layout v. 4.0

It rained all day yesterday, I worked in the Quarry area, getting the blocks staged, also tailing piles. The prototype had a rock crushing building and they sold sorted materials as well, not enough room on this layout to fit that in

Here is the full quarry roughed in:

View attachment 176016

The 3x3x5' chunks were transferred to the sawmill building for cutting into slabs and then further processed

An additional detail, large sheets of sandstone are initially blasted off, 3' thick, then these are broken into the chunks transported above

View attachment 176017

Here is the scene roughed in

View attachment 176018

And a picture of one of my neat old trucks:

View attachment 176019

Old job last day was Wednesday, and confirmed yesterday new job begins Nov. 1. Looking forward to the new schedule with an extra 2 1/2 hours each day that I was spending commuting.

THANKS for the comments,

Dave LASM
You should make some black and white photos, those scenes would look like pictures from an old book.

Last edited:
You should some black and white photos, those scenes would look like pictures from an ol

It rained all day yesterday, I worked in the Quarry area, getting the blocks staged, also tailing piles. The prototype had a rock crushing building and they sold sorted materials as well, not enough room on this layout to fit that in

Here is the full quarry roughed in:

View attachment 176016

The 3x3x5' chunks were transferred to the sawmill building for cutting into slabs and then further processed

An additional detail, large sheets of sandstone are initially blasted off, 3' thick, then these are broken into the chunks transported above

View attachment 176017

Here is the scene roughed in

View attachment 176018

And a picture of one of my neat old trucks:

View attachment 176019

Old job last day was Wednesday, and confirmed yesterday new job begins Nov. 1. Looking forward to the new schedule with an extra 2 1/2 hours each day that I was spending commuting.

THANKS for the comments,

Dave LASM
This looks awesome! Congrats on the new job too!

I have been on adding some roadway over by Wyoming (MN), I used the leftover hydrocal from the quarry to rough it in:

adding some roadway r.jpg

The white stuff is leftover hydrocal from making the sandstone blocks. It turns solid fairly quickly and I like to use it up whenever I make a batch

I made some templates from paper, and glued the boards directly to the paper template, I used 2 layers of wood to get it rigid

tem plates.jpg

one crossing.jpg

I put in some bolts for interest, still will be doing some work on the road material. It is all sifted gravel from different roads.

completed crossings.jpg

Looks like I need to do some cleanup work not totally happy with the gravel road, however the crossings are fine. They had to be of a size to allow my old locomotives which have some pretty big flanges on the wheels.

THANKS for commenting above...

The new job starts Wednesday it hasn't sunk in that I don't have to leave at 530 AM anymore, will be heading out at 7:45 for the new job and getting to work in 10 minutes. Doesn't seem real yet.

Dave LASM

On a personal note I have some big news, I applied for and accepted a new job. Many of you know I am commuting 126 miles per day, have been for two years.

Well, I got a job 6 miles away so that is a game changer for me. Wages are comparable and I will be working for a different county government and different department, however I have some duties that overlap with my old job. So, with an extra 16 hours per week or so that I used to spend driving, I can work on my railroad, along with other things. All I can say is Praise God!!!!!

THANKS for likes and comments,

Dave LASM
Great news Dave - - always nice to hear that the local boys are doing okay! I'm still plugging along at the church in RObbinsdale. The wifeykins is rocking it, however. Maybe a promotion in the near future for her.

I got burned out on a tough layout project last winter into spring trying to automate the yard TOs. Took the summer off to focus on chasing the little white ball, but now wifeykins is murmuring that if progress not made, then maybe we need to reclaim the ROW basement real-estate! RUH-ROH!!!

And I need to post pics of our rail vacation from early Oct. Took the Amtrak from St. Paul to Seattle, and then down to Emeryville (Oakland). Great fun!!

Layout progress is awesome - - your work is magnificent and must bring you great satisfaction.

Steve J

I have been on adding some roadway over by Wyoming (MN), I used the leftover hydrocal from the quarry to rough it in:

View attachment 176128

The white stuff is leftover hydrocal from making the sandstone blocks. It turns solid fairly quickly and I like to use it up whenever I make a batch

I made some templates from paper, and glued the boards directly to the paper template, I used 2 layers of wood to get it rigid

View attachment 176129

View attachment 176130

I put in some bolts for interest, still will be doing some work on the road material. It is all sifted gravel from different roads.

View attachment 176131

Looks like I need to do some cleanup work not totally happy with the gravel road, however the crossings are fine. They had to be of a size to allow my old locomotives which have some pretty big flanges on the wheels.

THANKS for commenting above...

The new job starts Wednesday it hasn't sunk in that I don't have to leave at 530 AM anymore, will be heading out at 7:45 for the new job and getting to work in 10 minutes. Doesn't seem real yet.

Dave LASM
Great views of your layout Dave, I can only wish I had your talent.
Good news on the job front, wishing you well on your first day in your new job.

Well with all my time got some more modeling done with the Quarry,

pullys and stuff.jpg

I used boat pullys, they are very nice, the string is not kinky at all makes nice straight rope

hooking up.jpg

I found these Woodland Scenics guys in my people box, thought they would go fine here

loading a flat car.jpg
We need the train!

THANKS FOR COMMENTING and the first day was fine. Still doesn't feel like I am not doing anything because not making that long drive, I am sure I will get used to it

Dave LASM

I had this little building project on my desk, a plastic kit but I changed the roof:

roof.jpg

I made a roof out of cardboard and put 2 x 6 scale lumber around it, used this product for self stick shingles. Seems very robust, on the other building glue still holds with no wrinkling

assembled.jpg

Here it is assembled, I will landscape it in with more sand that I have been using all over the layout for roads:

little building.jpg

I used a white wash on the walls and dry brush bottom with brown, a little black

wyoming scene.jpg

I plan on adding a man, I think I have one looking at a watch,

Thank you for commenting above!

Dave LASM

This steam shovel project has been on my desk for months, have been working on it for a couple weeks glueing a couple things at a time:

shovel 5.jpg

the early stages

shovel 4.jpg

many small parts and details

shovel 3.jpg

finally it is looking like something

shovel 2.jpg

on the workbench. Also painting some figures

shovel 1.jpg

It will go somewhere around here, need to bring in some more dirt to dig!

I have another dump truck to assemble next,,,

Thanks for looking!!!! Dave LASM

Back