Dave's Layout v. 4.0

[snip]
On a personal note I have some big news, I applied for and accepted a new job. Many of you know I am commuting 126 miles per day, have been for two years.

Well, I got a job 6 miles away so that is a game changer for me. Wages are comparable and I will be working for a different county government and different department, however I have some duties that overlap with my old job. So, with an extra 16 hours per week or so that I used to spend driving, I can work on my railroad, along with other things. All I can say is Praise God!!!!!

THANKS for likes and comments,

Dave LASM

That's great!!! Sorry I have been away for a while, and now that colder weather has started, I'm back in the basement, having fun with my layout.

Congrats on the new job! I'm about to do the opposite... I'm in discussions with a company that would be an hour commute each way. And the drive is into the sun each way, lol. But it's a systems conversion project, and I really enjoy doing those.

your buildings are looking fantastic!!!

Thanks, Jeff, good luck on your choices as well; I was able to get a couple of my little figures painted and they both wanted to be on the layout...

the new man.jpg

Here is the "new man" I called him, all his stuff fits in a sack

checking his watch.jpg

This guy is supposed to be looking at his watch, he operates the switch at this end of town

Sawill sceme.jpg

here is another load of logs for the mill

more later, Dave LASM

I needed another gravel dump truck for the gravel area, found this gem on ebay and have been putzing around glueing it together for the last two plus weeks:

man, cab 2.jpg

you can see the instruction sheet in the back, not really clear where everything lines up.

Windshield and step.jpg

truck fenders.jpg

The frame is all separate pieces, it got attached a little crooked but in the end looks like it was dented up a bit

detail.jpg

The guy was working on it and needed a break

new truck.jpg

I like it. I have another one much like it except it has a flat bed, will bne putting that together next

new truck and old tru k.jpg

both of these trucks made by the same manufacturer

THANKS for looking!

Dave LASM

Last edited:
I completed a little landscaping project by the Wyoming depot, the area next to the waiting space originally had a pump and fence (presumably to keep the horses out).

I took a little license here and just made some posts with one smooth wire, where it appears there were 4 strands of barbed wire originally,

prototype.jpg

Above the prototype from around 1917

This is what it looked like before I started working

before.jpg

just a blah space with no purpose, I made a board walkway like the prototype and put up some fence sections:

boardwalk progress.jpg

Above, some of the new dirt in place, the boardwalk, and the parking fence;

fence and boardwalk.jpg

above, the well pump in place and the rest of the fence.

Still need to work on track and ballast, always something!!!

Dave LASM

New train order signal project, I purchased these kits about 4 years ago and the one kit turned out pretty easy also nice looking. The other one I decided was too crude.

instr, 2.jpg

I made the JL innovative model. Cant remember what it cost, around $10 I think. I bought 3 and decided to build all three once seeing how they look on the layout, I think they add a lot,

epoxy, glue.jpg

I glued everything with Gorilla glue then added a drop of JB weld epoxy at most joints.

on layout.jpg

I made them non operating but wouldn't be too hard to make them work manually.

THanks for looking, Dave LASM

Great news Dave - - always nice to hear that the local boys are doing okay! I'm still plugging along at the church in

I made lots of progress on the stone cutting building, all the shingles are on and its weathered:

View attachment 175360

above - I am applying the shingles. I use Gorilla CA glue, have tried just about everything else and this is the one glue that stands the test of time.

This is the back side, I was not happy with all the application. Always good to start on the back side.

The instruction sheet:

View attachment 175361

I did not like the look of all those lines lining up so I tried to get them more staggered on the other side,

View attachment 175362

Above see a look of the shingles (good side) prior to weathering

View attachment 175363

Lots of work left to make the scene, however the building is done

View attachment 175364

I like the way the building turned out, next step to make the derricks for moving the sandstone chunks, also fabricating the pieces of sandstone

On a personal note I have some big news, I applied for and accepted a new job. Many of you know I am commuting 126 miles per day, have been for two years.

Well, I got a job 6 miles away so that is a game changer for me. Wages are comparable and I will be working for a different county government and different department, however I have some duties that overlap with my old job. So, with an extra 16 hours per week or so that I used to spend driving, I can work on my railroad, along with other things. All I can say is Praise God!!!!!

THANKS for likes and comments,

Dave LASM
The building looks super.

Congrats on the new job

THANKS Tom for checking out my stuff and commenting, the new job is going well and I am really enjoying the short commute.

Even though you do not see a lot of weathering on my layout, I have enjoyed your weathering threads and have picked up a few tricks!

Steve - always good to see you on the forum making observations and overall being a good member.

Gary - your words of encouragement are always welcome!!!

Chris, Chris, and Louis - like family!

The beginning of the new year is a great time to thank all those who participate in the Forum!

Dave LASM

Dave, where did you get the truss bridge from, (last foto) or did you scratch-build it ?
I made the bridge following a photograph of an actual structure existing on the line that I am modelling.

328 St. Croix 2.JPG

This photo came from the Northern Pacific Railroad Historical Association (NPRHA), I think from the Nixon collection. I actually designed a section of my layout around this bridge.

It is a wooden truss bridge. It was actually at a least 3 of the long sections and the one low, short section at one of the banks. The bridge shows up on a 1938 aerial photogtraph and there is one picture of a locomotive.

Thanks for commenting! Dave LASM

Nice job on those details, especially semaphores. Having grown up in a small city where the semaphores were used normally, i really appreciate such details on model railroad. Are you planning to build one integrated with trainmasters shanty at the station?
I put one at the Wyoming depot, however placed it by the depot. The original depot had the semaphore come right out of the depot roof:

semaphore.png

I did not have enough room to fit the signal where it was supposed to go, ended up placing it off the end of the depot. I will get a pic of the placement when I get a chance.

Thanks for the comments! Dave LASM

Back