Curious Coupler Question

I have a bachman engine with rapido couplers as well as the rest of the cars that came in the set. Can you mix coupler types and how hard is it to switch couplers on an engine?

Some of the different brand knuckle style couplers will work together, however a knuckle coupler will not hook to a rapido coupler. Most people end up using all knuckle couplers since they look more realistic and tend to work better. If you want to mix, you'd have to create a car with a knuckle coupler at one end and a rapido coupler at the other end to transition between them.

Usually it is not difficult to change the couplers out, but that is unique to each specific model. I'm not familiar with Bachmann N scale.

No it won't work. I remember IHC a couple years back was introducing some kind of coupler that can work with both knuckle couplers and horn hooks in HO but no word on if they had an n scale version for rapidos and knuckle couplers. I'd say your best bet as you upgrade would be to have a transition car or two with a rapido on one end and a knuckle coupler on the other as Nate suggested.

Back