Cork or rubber

NickB

Wannabe Engineer
Just curious who uses what and which is best for the roadbed cork or the black rubber stuff. I've got some cork but was looking at the black rubber roadbed and was contemplating it. Also how thick should the cork be or is there a certain recommended thickness? I've seen a few different thicknesses and was wondering. Thanks for any input.
Nick

I use cork myself and it looks ok in its preballasted state until you ballast when you get the kinks worked out. Someone did a thread on painting it gray with the speckle paint and I thought that looked nice too. I think once it is ballasted whichever shows thru is fine.

As far as thickness I went to the LHS and bought the 3' strips he had in stock.

Never had any experience with the rubber myself.

Either way good luck and have fun.

Thanks, I'll probably go with the cork stuff, talked to a buddy of mine at work that does trains as well and he was telling me about the 2.

I use the Woodland Scenics foam roadbed. I have used cork and liked it, but have found the foam to be easier to work with, particularly in curves. Both, are good choices and have about equal qualities. They are both about the same when it comes to deadening the sound, if this is a factor for you. ;) :)

Cork is much easier on turns as said above...cork has to be seperated in two pieces for turns...actualy the whole way (staights and turns) as its angle cut in the middle and you break in half placing the angles to the outsides...foam rounds turns with one piece and doesn't dry out like cork and become brittle after awhile...if using old pieces, soak in water overnight..we used older cork in yards on straight runs, and all foam on 85% of the clubs layout. it will hold in place with push pins till glue dryes easiler.

Back