Cop gets car stuck on tracks during pursuit

Saw that one before. I never undestood why he didn't leave his oveheads on and use his spots while he was on the tracks. Oh, well, I'll bet he got a few days off for that one. :)

I would have thought the camera crew and the police officer would have been able to lift it off the tracks, especially when it was just one tire left.

Chris, the simple answer is adrenaline. :) He really shouldn't have left the road for a simple traffic violation, especially since he didn't seem to be familiar with the territory.

Trey, it looked like they probably could have moved it off the track if the cop didn't floor it in a hard right to get over the rail. That looked like good sized rail, maybe 155 pounds, and I think the wheel got lodged between the rail head and the web of the rail. Seeing how much trouble the tow truck had getting it over the rail, I don't think a couple of guys could have moved it much further.

Trey, you could tell when the sergeant arrived on scene that this was going to be one of those "I'll never live this down" kind of things. I'm sure the tape gets played repeatedly in the squad room when the shift needs a good laugh. :)

Don't know for sure but it sure looks like a training film to me. Why else would there have been a camera and crew.

Cheers
Willis

Willis, no, it was real. The show "COPS" rides along for a week or two in a jurisdiction and tapes everything. They then edit it down to a half-hour show. In this case, the officer was unlucky enough to be involved in a pursuit and then even more unlucky to get hung up on the tracks. At least that department had a sense of humor. Some departments wouldn't have allowed that one to make to the show. They only filmed at my department once and I was on vacation, thank goodness, or they probably would have gotten me doing something dumb too.

Well I can attest to how difficult it is to get over a set or rails. I have driven an empty and loaded Semi over rails at a building rehab job site. the rails were pretty old looking unused for years the ballast was about level with the ground and my truck was taking a beating that day geting over them. I ended up putting 4x4 blocks of wood next to the rails to ease the pain on the tires and save me from getting a flat. I think my teeth almost fell out that day LOL

Willis, no, it was real. The show "COPS" rides along for a week or two in a jurisdiction and tapes everything. They then edit it down to a half-hour show. In this case, the officer was unlucky enough to be involved in a pursuit and then even more unlucky to get hung up on the tracks.
Ah! So! thanks Jim, but I still think it would be good for a training film :D Sure seen enough of them in my life.
I guess it just wasn't that officer's day. I can well imagine the ribbing he took in the days afterward.
Cheers
Willis

Oh, yes, Willis, I'm sure it's used a training film in departments all over the country on what not to do. :) There were a number of "COPS" episodes we watched in briefing and 90% were things not to do!

Back