Converting couplers

Ken W

All of my rolling stock has the old couplers and I've noticed that after my several year hiatus, everything on the market has knuckle couplers!! I haven't been able to find any directions on how to convert these things. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Hi Ken.
You'll find that it will cost a few bucks but the basic change-out is pretty simple. If you have truck mounted couplers or Bachmann cars it will be alittle more difficult but best thing is to make a couple of transition cars with a knuckle on one side and horn type on the other. That way you can use both without changing all of the cars at once.

Ken, Hi and welcome:D if your running with a club most of the time all the rolloing stock is switched over to Mt's this way you can run your cars with other members and even if your not I think the Mt's are the best couplers and trucks around right now buy them in bulk packs at shows it will be a wee bit cheaper or to save even more money buy the kits you have to put together :rolleyes: and good luck

Transition car is a wonderful thing

Hi Ken.
You'll find that it will cost a few bucks but the basic change-out is pretty simple. If you have truck mounted couplers or Bachmann cars it will be alittle more difficult but best thing is to make a couple of transition cars with a knuckle on one side and horn type on the other. That way you can use both without changing all of the cars at once.

The transition car is definitely a great way to get started fast until you can convert all of your rolling stock. My first and only attempt was to make a transition car with truck mounted couplers. Maybe it's just me, and my eyes not being so good anymore, but it was a pretty frustrating endeavor. I made one other transition car (a caboose) with body mounted couplers and that was a snap.

Back