Contest for new members only

NYC_George

About 18 months ago I uploaded this photo and asked everyone to guess what they were used for. I got about 25 crazy answers back but no one ever guessed right. If your new and don’t already know the answer take a guess.

Their located about 2 miles north of the yard in Brewster, NY.

ib.jpg

Some how I don't see any one form out side the NYC metro area getting what they are. I'm kinda curious to see what people say

are they like a temp sensor to make sure no wheels are locked and causing bearings to over heat? or brakes over heat?

Newbie says:
If your a passenger going into NYC 2 guys pop out of em hit you over the head and steal your wallet.

I'm not a new member but, I've never seen the photo before. Doesn't really matter though, still haven't got a clue. :confused:

Well its not a derail because theres nothing on the inside of the track, its not a scanner or washer because you said its not.

Im gonna throw it out there that its got something to do with the shoe for the third rail equipment, the shoe that makes contact with the electrified thrid rail, maybe something that disconnects the show, i dont know :confused:

Im gonna send you a PM cause im curious now :D

I’m surprised Drew even knows what they are and he lives next to the NYC main line.
Last year someone said they were rain shelters for very short people.

It got to the third rail to early this year, but other than MGWSY if he knows I still don’t think anyone will solve it.

George

They're left over from the old passenger train days. As the train approached the station these would clean the dirt, snow, etc. off the bottom step of the passenger cars. Prior to them being installed there were a lot of injuries and lawsuits from passengers slipping as they got off the train.

Back