Con Cor PRR or Demo Aerotrain, Anyone?

usmcnewdog

Hello, new to the forum, and I have been out of the hobby for quite a few years. I am starting back up with the kids, and we want a ConCor Aerotrain in HO scale either in PRR or the Demostration model. BUT they all seem to be gone? Have they all dried up? Any help would be great in finding one! or even a sound unit for it?
Mike

Mike, welcome to the forum!

If you've been away from the hobby 10 years or more, you may be just now discovering that mrr product distributors don't do continuous production anymore (like Athearn did with their "blue box" kits thru the early 1990's). With 95% of manufacturing being done by contractors in China nowadays, they do one production run based on the number of pre-orders they get. Once those items are sold, your only hope is to find what you want on eBay or at train shows.

Hi Mike.
I have the demonstrator Aerotrain and it is a good runner with a heavy locomotive.
They occasionally turn up on Ebay here in the UK so may appear on the US site.
Mine is fitted with a Soundtraxx Tsunami sound decoder for an EMD 567 motor ( part No. 827101).
This is the motor which was fitted to these locos and sounds good.
The sound decoder is fitted into a special car , Con Cor part No.0001-008804.
This has the floor drilled for the speaker and some seat parts removed. It also has a special harness to extend the decoder cable to the loco socket but in the end I made one up out of miniature connectors to make splitting the loco from the sound card easier.
I also used a "sugar cube" speaker - I can't remember the make but it works better than a circular speaker in this application.
Good luck in your search.
Regards, Colin.

Thanks for the input, I think we are going to get a Zephyr since those are still available, would that one us the same emd decoder?

Hi again.
I also have a Zephyr but it does not have a sound decoder fitted, only a TCS decoder.
The Zephyr was fitted with a Winton 201 engine and these sounds are listed on the QSI website as available for the QSI Titan.
I think Con Cor still lists the twin headlight Zephr as available and lists a sound decoder for it.

http://www.con-cor.com/2HLZephyr.html

Hope this helps.
Regards, Colin.

I have not heard of any issues or problems.
The twin headlamp version is just the train as it appeared in later years as railroad light requirements changed.
Regards, Colin.

Well done !!
Here is a photo of my Zephyr and the Aerotrain in my display cabinet.
The Aerotrain is connected to the sound car.

Aero_Zephyrincab.png

Regards, Colin.

I have both the first run Zephyr and the post-War version with the Mars light. I bought the first one as soon as it came out, and added the fourth car. But when I actually rode the #9900 and its sisters, back in the late '40's and early '50's, they had added the Mars light. So, as soon as Con-Cor came out with the post-War version, I had to have it. Neither of these have sound or DCC, as I mostly run DC on my layout. (With 50+ DC locos there is no way I'm going to convert even a portion!) I pulled the fourth car from the first set and connected it to the later version. I cannot believe how smoothly they run! Talk about a fine Swiss watch! With the articulated setup, backing into Galesburg's passenger yard is a smooth cinch!

Back