Computer and Digitrax PR3

73mph

I've been searching the forum and Google for answers, but I can't seem to find the exact answers I'm looking for. I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but the search engine only allows words with 4+ characters. Too many 2/3 letter acronyms in the hobby.

Background.. I plan to build a layout with DCC next year, but for this year, I'm enjoying my two O scale layouts (inner/outer 'L' shape) around the Christmas tree. Both trains are Lionels (""North Pole Central Christmas Train" and a "Santa Fe El Capitan").

I was planning to buy some constant light kits for the trains (currently using DC), but after reading some posts on here, this is not a good idea for DCC.

So, I'm sort of bored now, and want to tinker. I'm getting antsy for a DCC setup.

I'd like to setup a basic DCC setup via my computer...just something simple. I came across a thread on here about someone using Digitrax's PR3 to do this. However, some of the terminology on Digitrax's website and other places, have left me scratching my head. Not sure, if I need more than just a PR3 and the DecoderPro (JMRI) software.

To my understanding, I just need a decorder for each engine, the PR3 (w/ power adapter), and the JMRI software to do a DCC/computer setup.

However, I guess I'm confused by some of the terms that keep popping up for DCC. 'Command station' for one. This would be, in example, the Zephyr, but since I'm using a PC, I would not need this...correct?

Another would be the "LocoNet" that's in the PR3's connection illustration. But, the PR3 manual doesn't really indicate, what this connection is. I'm assuming its a general term and not hardware.

Lastly..and I'm sorry to sound even more ignorant on this last question. Does the track get its power from the PR3? Sorry, I just don't see how this tiny box would do this. Most of the DCC threads or writeups indicate a command station for this, so I would assume the PR3 is drawing the power from the computer (or AC adapter) to feed the track?

Thanks in advance for any help.
:)

Well after much appreciated help from UP2CSX
I will be going with the PR3, A Digitrax DCS200, and JMRI software.

Tho I'm still unsure if I need a Throttle can JMRI fully run the trains?
But then again that would take all of the fun out of it.

You must have a command station whether or not you use a computer. The PR3 is just an interface to connect the DCC system to a computer. It cannot supply power to the track.

My advice would be to return to the digitraxx site and read this basic intro on DCC.

http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=1262

If you want need/more info you can go to the home page http://www.digitrax.com/ and read the FAQ's, (they have their own tab that you can click on.) This will get you into their extensive knowledge base and there you will find answers.

Actually the PR3 can provide power to the track if you are using the suggested 12v power supply. However it won't supply enough to run a layout. I know this because after I program a decoder with the PR3 I open up the throttle on JMRI and use it to test the decoders functions and make sure they are working properly so I never have to remove the engine from my programming track and BTW incase you are thinking it my PR3 is not connected to a command station I use it as a stand alone unit.

So that also answers your question Dominick, the JMRI software does have a throttle you can open up and use it to control you engines.

Well after much appreciated help from UP2CSX
I will be going with the PR3, A Digitrax DCS200, and JMRI software.

Tho I'm still unsure if I need a Throttle can JMRI fully run the trains?
But then again that would take all of the fun out of it.

Yep, UP2CSX is a big help. Your original thread on DCC was the one that caught my interest. However, I didn't see any follow ups. Plus, JMRI's write up on the PR3 is sort of gray on needing a command station or not needing a command station.

A lot of DCC write ups are not centered around a computer setup, so it sort of confused me in the hardware needs.

As for a throttle. Here's the JMRI throttle write up. http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/tools/throttle/ThrottleMain.shtml

You must have a command station whether or not you use a computer. The PR3 is just an interface to connect the DCC system to a computer. It cannot supply power to the track.

My advice would be to return to the digitraxx site and read this basic intro on DCC.

http://www.digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=1262

If you want need/more info you can go to the home page http://www.digitrax.com/ and read the FAQ's, (they have their own tab that you can click on.) This will get you into their extensive knowledge base and there you will find answers.

After seeing Dom is getting a DCS200 that makes sense with everything and answer's my original questions; to inlcude your confirmation also. Like I said, Dom's original thread and JMRI's write up confused me on the DCC/Computer setup.

Thanks for the Digitrax KB links. I had them booked mark from before, but it appears I need to read a lot more. I figured I'd just ask to save time in understanding, if a command station was needed or not.

From the looks of it, not sure if I need a DCS200. If a Zephyr is recommended for starter kits and normal layouts, I was thinking the DB150 w/ a PR3 or a Zephyr w/ LocoBuffer-USB.

Zephyr w/ a LocoBuffer appears to be the ideal solution. Since, I only need a programmer and interface to the computer. Plus, this would give me flexibility of not using a computer too.

Currently, I'm using O scale, and the PR3 seems ideal for HO that uses sound decoders (no sound decoders from digitrax available for O). Then again, I might have to downgrade to HO, after the wife saw, what I did to the bonus room. :D

As for a throttle. Here's the JMRI throttle write up. http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/tools/throttle/ThrottleMain.shtml...

I was thinking the DB150 w/ a PR3 or a Zephyr w/ LocoBuffer-USB.

Zephyr w/ a LocoBuffer appears to be the ideal solution. Since, I only need a programmer and interface to the computer. Plus, this would give me flexibility of not using a computer too.

Currently, I'm using O scale, and the PR3 seems ideal for HO that uses sound decoders (no sound decoders from digitrax available for O). Then again, I might have to downgrade to HO, after the wife saw, what I did to the bonus room. :D

The Zephyr w/ LocoBuffer is a very good choice as a starter set. I would not get the DB150. I have one, as well as a DCS100. The DB150 will allow you to program with it, however, you will not be able to read anything that you programmed into the system. The DB150 doesn't have read back capability. I've been using the JMRI programs first with the MS-100 interface then the LocoBuffer since right after it was released. It really is handy to use that built-in throttle at times.

It is kind of confusing once you start adding a computer in the mix but CJ has it right. You can just use a command station like the Zephyr with the PR3 and LocoBuffer to provide the data to JMRI. I have a DCS50, which is the same as a DCS100 but with a 2.5 amp power supply. The DCS100 has a 5 amp power supply, which should be ample even for two O scale trains. I agree with CJ about the DB150. It's an excellent unit if you are planning to run multiple throttles but the inability to read back CV values is a real issue since you have to record every CV change by hand. JMRI overcomes this limitation but there are times when it's a lot handier to just read back a CV from the command station and make a quick adjustment than firing up the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back