Commuter train, freight train collide in LA; 2 die

We're up to something like 11+ confirmed dead now, 70+ injured!

I'm watching live video online right now.

Wow. What a tragedy. :( I wonder what led up to something like this happening. I expect the details will be known soon. My prayers go out to those involved in this and their families.

Sad - a total waste of lives! This also gives a serious black eye to the image of rail passenger transportation. Goes to show that there isn't any mode of transport that is 100% safe.

A Metrolink spokeswoman said late yesterday that initial investigation has indicated that the probable cause of the collision was the failure of the Metrolink engineer (who was killed) to stop the commuter train at a red signal! What a tragedy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad - a total waste of lives! This also gives a serious black eye to the image of rail passenger transportation. Goes to show that there isn't any mode of transport that is 100% safe.

Your right! Heck, you can get killed walking to the mail box!

Train control

Missing the approach signal is what usually happens in these types of train wrecks. If you miss the approach it may be too late to stop at the red. It only takes a few seconds of distractions to miss a signal. Your mind has to be completely on what you’re doing. In the north east where all the trains run on train control it’s much harder for this to happen. An alarm would have sounded and the brakes automatically applied if the train was doing more than 30 mph as it passed the approach signal. The train would have been automatically brought down to the signal’s speed limit.

NYC_George

Missing the approach signal is what usually happens in these types of train wrecks. If you miss the approach it may be too late to stop at the red. It only takes a few seconds of distractions to miss a signal. Your mind has to be completely on what you’re doing. In the north east where all the trains run on train control it’s much harder for this to happen. An alarm would have sounded and the brakes automatically applied if the train was doing more than 30 mph as it passed the approach signal. The train would have been automatically brought down to the signal’s speed limit.

From the report I just read...
http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7401&eeid=6092329&_sitecat=1522&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=-2&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt
NTSB experts are also planning to review the cell phone records of two 14-year-old boys and the engineer, who died in the crash, after the teens had told CBS2-TV that they received a text message from the engineer shortly before the crash.

The Los Angeles station said the teen was among a group of youths who befriended the engineer and asked him questions about his work.

Man, I hope this didn't play a part in the wreck. I always appreciate people who take time to be nice to kids. Hopefully this wasn't a distraction that caused a missed signal.

Does anyone know how the UP crew faired in this?

Apparently the confirmed death toll is now up to 25. From the damage to the engine and Metrolink cars, it seems as if no attempt to slow down was made before the collision. I hope the cell phone texting message story isn't true and we should be careful about making assumptions until the facts are in evidence. All we know for sure is the Metrolink train ran a red signal.

Josh, as far as I can tell from the stories I've read, the UP engineer died but the conductor survived. Contrary to stories about the dipsatcher calling the UP train before the crach, scanner recordings show the first notification of the crash was the conductor calling the DS to tell him the collision had occured and requesting help.

George, it does seem like some sort of ATC should be mandatory on passenger lines that share the traffic with freight trains. It's bad enough when two freights collide but there has to more automatic safety measures in place when you've tens of thousands of people also traveling the same line.

Caught the news today myself; they were saying it looks like the METROLINK engineer may have been texting up until a minute before the crash.

I read the Metrolink Engineer died, KTLA says the UP crew as "injured".
The three injured crew members of the Union Pacific train had also yet to be interviewed.
http://www.ktla.com/pages/content_l...worth-Dozens-Hurt=1&blockID=56225&feedID=1198

As for Metrolink, I think they're "leased" crews, at least as far as I remember, the crews come from Veolia Transportation (who also runs the MTS buses in San Diego, and the NCTD Sprinter [may possibly run the MTS Trolley & NCTD buses and Coaster train service]).

Back