CMMR Layout Plan

I like your final plan, I like that you went with having the longer mainline, in they end when you get trains running around the layout you will be wishing you still went bigger:D It happens to all of us, you made the right decision.

I still liked the small mountain/tunnel you had in one of your previous plans, to bad you couldnt incorporate that into this one, but we all have to make compromises for the better.

Im sorry if you stated this in your opening post, but what era is this

Also, have you thought about staging at all? Could you add a hidden staging track around the outside edge on the west wall?? Or is staging not possible with this layout? Staging adds alot more to any layout even if its one/two tracks.

I like it, much more operations friendly!
I agree staging would be nice, might be harder to make it modular for moving tho.
There is always a way!
One thing I might change... if the length of single track between the two switches at the passenger siding and upper drill track could be lengthened you could put a great bridge scene in and provide a reason for the RR not going double track right thru.
It would also create the illusion of more distance between the two locations.
A stream that tapers off or disappears thru culverts by the station would look allright, as would a highway underpass?

Im sorry if you stated this in your opening post, but what era is this

I am modeling present day, based loosely on a local short line called the Central Manitoba Railway. You can find out more info about it on my webpage. I will also be including some CN & CP equipment eventually.

Also, have you thought about staging at all? Could you add a hidden staging track around the outside edge on the west wall?? Or is staging not possible with this layout? Staging adds alot more to any layout even if its one/two tracks.

Right now I have the west wall section 30" wide, which is about as wide as I want to go to still have reach and enough aisleway in the middle of the layout. I am not quite sure how I could add a staging track.

One thing I might change... if the length of single track between the two switches at the passenger siding and upper drill track could be lengthened you could put a great bridge scene in and provide a reason for the RR not going double track right thru.
It would also create the illusion of more distance between the two locations.
A stream that tapers off or disappears thru culverts by the station would look allright, as would a highway underpass?

Sorry Rico but I am not quite following you. Are you talking about elevating the north/east section of mainline over the highway? Think you could mark up the plan?

Something like this, the water could disappear under a double culvert.
A highway underpass could be used instead of the water and be lowered to get clearance under the tracks.
I think it would be a great scenic possibility.

Something like this, the water could disappear under a double culvert.
A highway underpass could be used instead of the water and be lowered to get clearance under the tracks.
I think it would be a great scenic possibility.

Ok, I get it now Rico! I like it, and it would definitely add more visual interest. I could still bring in a road from the south to service the 2 sidings, and between some elevation on the track and dropping the highway I should be able to achieve the elevation required for the highway overpass. Thanks for the suggestion:)

I like Rico's idea with the water and bridge scene. I think a river would look better than a highway overpass.

So following up on Rico's suggestion I deleted the north/south section of road and added Sturgeon Creek. There will be culverts underneath the highway and north set of tracks.

CMMR_Plan_1_2013_03_24_zps469c9337.jpg

Creek1_zps19854a29.jpg

Very nice!

I still think you have room for a 3 track locomotive shop. And get the Walthers Railroad Shop kit.

Now start building the darn thing already!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice!

I still think you have room for a 3 track locomotive shop. And get the Walthers Railroad Shop kit.

Now start building the darn thing already!

Hey Michael - are you getting commission on those things or what!!:D

Seriously, yours is beautiful but I don't think it will fit in with my plans. I think I will be going with a Pikestuff shop instead. It's a closer fit to the actual CEMR shop. But if I can fit 3 tracks I will!

5149.1151953200.jpg

I like the river crossing as well, i do like the pikestuff structures as well too...

The walthers kit is very nice, but motley raise the bar on his, so its kinda hard to compete with someone who made an unbelievably good looking diesel shop:D

Ahhh shucks, you guys are too kind.

Gary if thats your prototype shop, then by all means go with the Pikestuff kit. Either way I'm sure it will look great.

Back