CMMR Layout Plan

CMMR

I decided to get back into the hobby about a year and a half ago when our oldest daughter got married and her room became available. Somehow my plans got changed when my wife decided it would be better as an exercise room instead (I guess she's trying to tell me something!) Now our youngest daughter has decided to move out, so I am back in business. I have spent the last few weeks playing around in SolidWorks and SCARM trying to come up with a plan. Here is what I have so far. I will probably be the lone operator 99% of the time. Turnouts will all have manual throws to start. Minimum radius is 22" on the main and 18" in the yard. Please feel free to comment/make suggestions.

Here is the plan with room dimensions in SolidWorks

CMMR_SW_Plan_zpsbdaaf19d.jpg

Here is the plan in SCARM

CMMR_Plan_zps0e9f880b.jpg

Some 3D views from SCARM

CMMR_Iso1_zpsf677daaa.jpg

CMMR_Iso2_zps6b572826.jpg

CMMR_Iso3_zpsef5e2705.jpg

CMMR_Iso4_zps78d71d07.jpg

CMMR_Iso5_zpsab4be4b0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin good so far Gary! Maybe I'll be the other 1%? :D
I had a similar loop around a lake once on an older layout and found a great way to hide the hidden track without a waterfall by angeling a mirror under a road bridge.

Nicely rendered in 3D. A few comments:

1) There are no passing sidings on the mainline, only at the passenger station. Means only one place for trains to meet. Maybe eventually, you'll make some new friends, and they will want to help you enjoy your layout too. Also allows you to switch local industries on the siding, while 'thru traffic' passed by (circle's around) on the high iron.
2) Like the angled yard-gives you longer tracks.
3) Extend the layout toward the door, along the angled wall. Another spot for an industry or two, if nothing else.
4) Might go up to 24" minimum radius, depending on what you plan on running. Post 1990 locomotives have fairly long wheelbases, as do some freight cars. Larger radius will work better. Also might go up from 18" to 22" radius on the yard lead, for same reasons.
5) Might make the yard lead have dual tracks. Turn the track along the edge of the table into the 'arrival/departure track,' with a cross over in the middle, where the current switch is.

I like this plan it looks like an interesting and practical use of the space avaliable. All your turnouts are within easy reach for manual switching and derailments.The only spot you will have difficulty reaching would be the top right corner for doing your scenicing I take it you will have access into the tunnel from under the baseboard.If you cant reach the track between the tunnel and the bridge you could always make the tunnel slightly longer and move the bridge left. If you extend the layout towards the door as otscnj suggests you will need a pop-up for access around the industries Marked "TBD"

The main suggestion I would make is to change symmington yard so you dont have to back a train off the main line.This could be done by;
-Turning one of the current sidings into a runaround track would let you come into the yards engine first.
- otscnj suggestion sounds even better
-Alternatively you could have a turnout just above the station with an arrival/departure track where the yard lead is.

I remember your first layout plan, which was very good, and this expanded version seems to be even better :)

The only things that I would change are the crossovers in the middle of the station. May be they will stand better at both ends instead of the center. And they should be isolated in order to prevent short circuit between the two lines, but you probably are aware of that.
Looking forward to see the building of the real layout ;)

Mixy

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. I am going to take them all into consideration. I had already thought about 24" mainline minimum radii, but I was trying to get away with 48" wide sheets of plywood, and they would also make the aisleways a bit narrower.

did you do any modeling in Solidworks?

Hayden - I use SolidWorks every day at work. I also have an older version on my computer at home. I created some 2D blocks of Atlas #4 & #6 code 83 switches, then used them as a basis to start the layout design. I found it was a little easier to do it in SolidWorks first. as you can use set radii and tangents. Once I had it done in SolidWorks I transferred all the information to SCARM to create the 3D views.

Hayden - I use SolidWorks every day at work. I also have an older version on my computer at home. I created some 2D blocks of Atlas #4 & #6 code 83 switches, then used them as a basis to start the layout design. I found it was a little easier to do it in SolidWorks first. as you can use set radii and tangents. Once I had it done in SolidWorks I transferred all the information to SCARM to create the 3D views.

so you dont have any 3-d models of any track for solidworks. I have been looking on the internet for some and can not find any?

so you dont have any 3-d models of any track for solidworks. I have been looking on the internet for some and can not find any?

Actually, I did model up Atlas #4 & #6 turnouts as well as straight and curved track. I believe the straight and curved are single part files with different configurations. I can post them when I get home tonight if you want.

Actually, I did model up Atlas #4 & #6 turnouts as well as straight and curved track. I believe the straight and curved are single part files with different configurations. I can post them when I get home tonight if you want.

That would be great
thanks

Based on some of the suggestions on the forum I have modified my original plan, as well as created a second concept. I have made the minimum radius 24", and have 3" between tracks on the mainlines. I got rid of Clear Lake and the mountain to allow for an extra couple of sidings. I also moved the passenger station and added a passing track at the north end. From my perspective, here are the pros and cons of each:

Concept 1
- I like the yard and container terminal on this plan.
- It is more awkward to get around.
- The passing track is shorter.

Concept 2
- The yard and container terminal area is smaller.
- It is easier to get around.
- The passing track is much longer.
- The mainline is longer.

Once again, comments suggestions are welcome.

Concept 1

cmmr_1_plan_sw_zps11edcf40.jpg

cmmr_1_plan_zpsb0af8537.jpg

cmmr_1_1_zps4e6d10de.jpg

cmmr_1_2_zps096f1d7b.jpg

Concept 2

cmmr_2_plan_sw_zpsc5e28620.jpg

cmmr_2_plan_zps70bd1aaa.jpg

cmmr_2_1_zpsd1b98654.jpg

cmmr_2_2_zpse0c80f04.jpg

Hmmm tough call there Gary.
I like both but I like #1 with the loco shop and a little more room for the container yard.
Keep in mind a typical container yard has two tracks together with aisles on either side for the packers to travel down. That would be easily modeled with two seperate tracks spaced a little way from the yard.
I like #2 with the longer passing siding so two trains can meet there and at the yard.
(don't forget I'm coming over to play!)
For plan #1 I'd add a drill track to the yard too.
How's that sound, clear as mud? :)

I like them both also.

I like #2 more because of the longer mainline run. Having a longer run is important to me.

Couldn't you add curved turnouts coming off your cruves for the yard/container area? This would give you more track length which would make the yard a little bigger. Also, couldnt you just widen this area slightly to get another track or two to compensate for the smaller yard versus the bigger yard in #1. This way it wouldnt be that much smaller then #1's yard.

Also, have you thought about adding a hidden staging track or maybe two? Could you fit a track against the west wall?

Why did you remove the mountain that was in your first plan?
Couldnt you still build one, but you would have to have a switch inside the mountain that may be a "pita"

I like your designs, i think either way you slice the pie, you will have a nice layout. Im looking forward to seeing more progress, and hopefully follow along with your build

Ok Rico - forgive my ignorance but what's a drill track?:confused:

A "drill" track is a length of track a switcher can use to shuffle cars on without fouling the main or lead.
I've seen a lot of great layouts that didn't include one but needed one for op sesions...

Okay, here is my final plan. I know some things will probably change as I go along, but this is my starting point. After playing with both plans again I elected to go with a modified version of concept 2. Following some of the suggestions from other forum members I extended the yard and added drill tracks. I think this will allow me a fair amount of yard storage and switching, while still having a decent mainline. My next step will be to start designing the benchwork. I want to make it in modules so that when we decide to move into something smaller I will have the option of trying to sell the layout without destroying it in the process. This way I will also be able to build in stages as time and cost permit. My daughter still has a few things to move out of her former bedroom, and then it's time for some paint and carpentry!

Here is the new plan. Green is the mainline, pink is the passenger siding, light blue is the yard, dark blue is the drill tracks and red are the spurs.

CMMR_Plan_1_2013_03_23_zps6411ac9f.png

And the SCARM images....

CMMR_Plan_2_2013_03_23_zpsf636cd8c.png

CMMR_Plan_3_2013_03_23_zps79487bfc.jpg

CMMR_Plan_4_2013_03_23_zpse04ba837.jpg

Back