Circuit Simulation Software

SlavaK815

I'd like to build few analog boards for my layout - to turn on/off signals based on routes (will take feed from the tracks of insulfrog turnouts); photo sensors to detect trains and feed them into signal board; shutoff layout if sensor detects train coming with green light off etc.

I wanted to simulate these circuits on a computer before building them - to check voltage, current.

Does anyone have an experience with Circuit Simulation software? What software would you recommend? Preferably free or not too expensive.

Thanks,
Slava

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather that design a dedicated circuit to do the job have you considered using a inexpensive embedded computer board like an Arduino or a BeagleBoard?

There are a wide variety of processor boards and add-on boards of various kinds - and they are all fairly inexpensive.

A basic Arduino board is around $25.

I find it much easier to do this sort of processing in code as opposed to dedicated hardware.

http://arduino.cc/en/main/boards

How large is your layout?
As others have alluded to, if you spend time inventing something that is already available, you'll wind up getting frustrated and off track.

I didnt get a chance to directly answer your question based on what you are trying to do than a proper realistic signal system. Part of the answer is diode logic, you arrange the diodes to assist routing the circuit path. What you have to do first is look at your ONE signal only, decide how/when it will light up from which turnout(s) whereever, then you choose/design the circuit for it. Hand draw it. Do you know your electronic symbols? The diodes isolate circuit paths so power doesnt go the wrong way and light a signal you don't want lit. I presume this is a very simple signaling situation. I would draw your tracks, draw your signals and work out what you want to do with each individual signal and rough draw your wiring. On a club layout I was in we had diode logic to throw turnouts for a yard, push one button throws multi turnouts the correct way for the route.

I got my original question answered in other place; here isthe list of software in case someone is interested too –
LTSpice
TINA-TI
VisualSpice
PSIM
ORCAD student

My HO layout is 16x11 ft.
Arduino is an option, but for some scenarios it is an overkill,for example on my yard I will simply want to know if train can leave it or not.All tracks will have red light on and the one that has a path out will alsohave a green light. For that I’ll feed power to my yard, have insulation between yard tracks and the turnouts and feed yard entry/exit. I’ll simply need to sense a signal on my insulfrogs turnouts to know if train can leave the yard or not. That can be done with diode rectifier and relay or transistor.

Stations are slightly more complicated, in addition to the turnouts positions I’ll have sensors (marked with letter ‘S’) to see if trackis available. Even If I use an Arduino or similar I’d need to build some interface logic to feed it into microcontroller and provide power to LED emitter. Another option is to feed those sensors into Digitrax DS64 and have it send a message to a computer and have computer rule the layout. Friend of mine also suggested getting a barcode sensors (and sticking a barcode at the bottom ofthe engines) or RF IDs so I could know what train just went through
J.

I am still working on woodworking part of my layout (hope to finish it this summer and run first train by 12/31 this year
J) and I have time to think about electronics.

Track-18 - 33.jpg

you will end up with IC AND gates for the signals, that I did. I had a 3 head 2 pole signal set, wirewrapped, it worked but wow. Spaghetti. You will want a mini signal circuit that when you apply a signal (on or off) it sends it green, that may simplify wire routing design, could work using just turnout contacts interconnected, perhaps some diode isolation.

Perhaps it is too expensive for you budget but all of the hardware/software needed for these this sort of thing is readily available from a number of different sources.

Just a couple of examples:

For hardware: http://www.rr-cirkits.com/

For software: http://www.freiwald.com/forum/?language=english

There are several others in each category.

Rolling you own can be fun but I already have more work then I can manage just building the layout much less designing and building the electronics for the layout.

If you can find the back issues, Linn Westcott did some series of articles in Model Railroader about Twin-T signaling, good basic info for signaling there. Plus look for Bruce Chubbs series of article compterizing your model railroad, all with good basic info whether you use it or not.

Back