Christmas Tree ornaments

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Was looking thru WM's Christmas Tree Ornaments yesterday & they have some nice detailed plastic John Deere tractors in 1/87th to 1/64th & above.
$2.50 to $10.00 ea. Some pkgs. have 3 diff. sizes to a blister pack.

Don't forget to get your LED lites before they are all bought up. I bought 3 sets of 40 to a string last year(110V.) & 3 pkgs. of the mini's that have a battery box for 2-AA batteries. There's 10 LEDs on a string. Clear or multi colored. I used the 110v ones in my buildings. Lot of xtra lites hanging down under my train table. Makes good liteing for finding stuff under the bench. LOL
If you wait tooo long they will be gonnne.

Larry

Good suggestions, Larry. Check at Michaels for doll house Christmas decorations and light sets too since many of them are adaptable for HO use.

Don't forget to check Big Lots for 1/87th airplanes in metal about now. They only have them at Christmas for some crazy reason. Or at least the past 3 years.

Larry

Don't forget to check Big Lots for 1/87th airplanes in metal about now. They only have them at Christmas for some crazy reason. Or at least the past 3 years.

Larry

Do you know what name brand the planes are? My wife went to Big Lots tonight and only found Match Box airplanes. If I am correct, MatchBox is usually a big bigger than 1/87, usually around 1/64 I think.

Do you know what name brand the planes are? My wife went to Big Lots tonight and only found Match Box airplanes. If I am correct, MatchBox is usually a big bigger than 1/87, usually around 1/64 I think.

The newer Matchbox are bigger than HO, but the one's I have now were the one's that WM, Target, etc. were selling about 5 years ago. These are actually a bit small for 1/87th, but flying around the layout at a reasonable heighth they look close.
The Big Lots planes have an open front box that shows combat pictures on the side. I'm probably going there next week & I can tell you then, "If" they are in stock yet. It may be tooo early. Last week I found a jet liner, but it's smaller than 1/87th. They also had a P-51 that was about 027 scale.
I always take along an HO scale figure in the sitting position when I make my train layout trips. It gives you a better idea of scale. Sometimes just because it says 1/87th on the box isn't always true. I get a lot of helicopters in Hot Wheels & Matchbox & Malibu that are pretty close to HO.
Hope this helps until I can get to Big Lots.

Larry

Larry-
I stopped at WALLY WORLD and walked down the clearance aisle.
I found several 5 packs of 1/87 cars for $3.00 each.
I got a couple with 1959 and earlier era cars, but most are modern era cars and SUVs. I figure 7 useable cars on the layout for about $.85 each and some for the grandsons to play in the dirt with.
You may want to check your local stores for clearance items.
Mikey

Still checking at my local Big Lots but havent found anything yet in the airplanes.

Another question, with the LED Lights, does everyone use the whole string or has anyone cut individual lights out? The spacing on the strings is way too close to use them in multiple buildings.

You can cut up the strings and use each LED individually. You do need to find out what voltage the LED is rated at (usually around 3 volts) and then either get a three volt power supply to power up the bus that will go to the lights or use dropping resistors from each LED and run them off a standard 12 volt power bus.

Christmas LED's for engine headlights or signals

I recently bought the 10 count mini lights (LEDs)that use three AA batteries and a set that has 15 LEDs that uses two AA batteries. They are the right size for headlights or red, yellow and green signals. But how do I know what resistors to use if I cut them up to use one at a time as engine headlights or signal lights?
I couldn't resist the price of two dollars a set!
Has anyone tries this before? It seems like a good cheap idea.
Thanks!
Bob D.

WM has the John Deere ornaments for 50% off. I think they are about S scale. I also bought strings of 60 LEDs for $3.47. That's 50% off too.

I use the LED's in my buildings & leave the ones between hanging down under my layout. Makes pretty good lighting under the bench. LOL

I also bought the mini LED's last year & was thinking about trying to use them for passenger car lighting or caboose lighting. You could put a mini switch under the car to turn them off & on.

The other day I bought some mini Flashlites at Dollar Tree that are powered by 3 flat batteries. I figure they are about 3 volts. They have 1 real brite LED white bulb. I can disassemble the unit & make some brass tubes for tall yard lites. The reflector inside the head of the lite is HO scale exactly. It is funnel shaped. Where the batteries are is a little plastic pouch that holds the 3 flat batteries & has a clamp for attaching to the top of a book(reading lite).
They have a set of hard wires inside a flexible tube that is about 4" long.

They(Dollar Tree) also have a small flashlite that has 3 LED's in it & powered by 3 AAA batteries. I haven't taken that apart yet. But, it is super bright. Those would make some large lites for something, maybe the yards. If not to scale would be cheap to break down for whatever.
Anyway, these are some of my idea's.
If anyone needs pics posted, let me know.
Larry

Well AA batteries are 1.5 Vs so lets say 3....um 4.5 V So just get a resistor to drop it to 3V and how ever many amps There should be a sticker saying somewhere how many amps they are. Mike

Back