Cheaper Creeper?

mike8693

I have found the topside creeper for 165 plus shipping. Basically your buying a 20 dollar step stool and paying 145 bucks for two pieces of square tubbing and 4 wheels. So my question does anyone know of any products like it but cheaper?
28589-md.jpg

Got an electric drill? If so, just go to your friendly neighborhood Lowes or Home Depot and get a sheetmetal-rated drill bit, some square tubing [I think they will even cut that to length for you] and some nuts/bolt/washers to hold it together, and you've got yourself a homegrown creeper! :D

If you get someone to weld it together at $95.00 an hour & find that little red cushion for about $20.00 I figure you would have about $600.00 in it.

If you can find the rectangular tubing at your local welding shop at about $2.00 a foot, the wheels at hardware store for about $8.00 ea.(casters),
nuts, bolts & washers ?, & an insurance policy for you & your layout about $500.00 a year, you could probably build it yourself for $700.00.

I use to own a welding shop back when things were a lot cheaper & people use to tell me they could get it a lot cheaper at a hardware store. Yes, that was true because it was made in China or Japan.

Just a thought!!

Larry:D

My brother works at a shop that makes the 8-10 foot working model airplane I bet I could get him to weld a step ladder to a frame and weld on a platform pretty cheap but I think ill pass :).

I don't know but to me it looks like an accident waiting to happen. I could weld my own but I think I'll pass on this one :D

Cheers
Willis

Looks like the same thing here:

http://www.toolsnow.com/browse.cfm/4,2623.html

$99.99 plus shipping.

UPS Ground showed up as $44 to me in NC.

This company also does truck sales and you can get on their list to find out when they will be in your area. They apparently used to be Cummins Industrial tools, but had to change their name.

I believe rhoward bought the $165 model. Give him a PM.
There are many times I could have used one, if I could just let go of the cash.

Mike, you really are better off spending the money on a commercial product than building your own. They have to manufacture to OSHA standards, which are about 10 pages long for top creepers. As you might imagine, it's easy for one of those things to be unbalanced and you crashing into your layout (or worse) is really not worth saving the money, assuming you could actually build something for less, which is highly doubtful.

I never meant to build one I just meant did anyone know of any companies that make a similar product. Like the 200 dollar ipod and the 50 dollar mp3 player do the same thing.

Did you read the heighth of the ladder? 42" wouldn't even clear the top of my tables. I don't know about yours.

Larry

Oh. I didn't realize that I never guessed that there would be so many creeper sizes. I guess I'll stick with this one http://vistamation.com/products/uncategorized/stapleton-topside-creeper/YD-3276/ the only clearance problem would be on the bottom of the layout where i only have 3 1/2 inches to work with but I can just leave of the casters and it should work.

I believe that the height is adjustable, at least on the original model. Can't tell if either one or these has adjustable height or not.

The Micromark version says it is adjustable from 48 to 72 inches.

Might be worth a call to the company to verify before paying more, and hopefully they will be truthful if you do call.

I dont think itd be that hard to build, if a had the Welder, and other metal working tools.. If I can build a catering Trailer, and restore cars... building one of those wouldnt be terribly hard.

After studying the photos a little closer, I would have a time-of-it trying to get the angled support braces under the benchwork. I, as with many, have diagonal bracing that would block the ladder from getting far enough under the layout and be of any help.:( Another thing to consider is getting the ladder in and out of the aisles. Mine are wide enough for a straight shot, but there could be a problem in making a 90deg turn down another aisle.:)

Rex, R.E.L. has a folding topside creeper at http://www.relstapleton.com/topsideproducts.html that would at least solve the problem of having to turn it in aisles. I don't know how you get around the problem of under platform bracing, which is a real problem for someone with a large layout like yours. Seems like the only answer would be to dogleg the bracing in areas you'd need access. Not a very palatable option, I'm sure.

Jim, looking at the photo with the mechanic, I would still be able to easily reach 3 feet or more with the bracing. It wouldn't be any different than being blocked by an automobile body.

Dang, now I'm back to being interested. :rolleyes::) I think that I will ask my mechanic BIL if some of the local auto stores might have this. This would save on freight, but I would have their markup and tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of you guys build one, be sure to use rectagular metal & not square. 1"X2"X14 gage is real strong for just about any weight. You could get a good photo off the internet & copy one. You need the different angles though. Maybe someone would send you a brochure about one.
If you all come down pretty soon I could probably build one in my shop in one day. I have a mig welder & can get steel pretty cheap.
I've built things more complicated than that in 1 day w/the owners help.
One of you could bring casters, one could bring the cushion, one could bring the adjusters & one could bring a short steel ladder to stand on to weld the top shelf on. LOL
I also have a chop saw, a torch, bench grinder, hand held grinder, many clamps, xtra welding helmets for the curious & a willingness to screw something up w/out the proper supervisorship.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I was just looking for a cheaper price but hey this works to. :D. I would get the new model (foldable and extends) but the base is to wide to fit (narrowest part of isle is 25 1/2 inches). Since my frame is lifted up I can brace it where all that touches the floor is the 17ish legs. I ran out of lumber and we are supposed to be getting 2-5 inches of ice tonight so who knows when i'll get more. I figure I can brace it like this:
GEDC0248-1.jpg

Mike, that looks like a good plan. If you think about how the normal building roof is braced, you outlined it right there. Makes for a stonger structure and you can walk in the attic without constantly getting bashed in the head. :) It would also make it easier to get under the layout to run wires.

Rex, seems like to would better then totering off the end of a ladder. I was thinking that this kind of thing would be really useful when you get aound to scenicing Providence.

Larry, if I had that much equipment, I would have already burned my house down. :D

Back