Central Midland Atlas HO-29 layout questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this where you had the most problems with the tight curves??

This is the area were I had the most problems with curves in the track, that double track curve, particularly the inner curve just being a bit too tight.

There was a particular loco I would use to try and find derailment prone areas. It is a six axle diesel loco with small flanges on its wheels. This loco could find difficult spots as it tended to pivot on two of the three axles on any one truck, and thus derail the 3rd axel's wheels

View attachment 60454

Posting some images.
Do you see that icon, above, on the second row down, that looks like it has a 'tree in a box'. Click on that to insert an image, either from an internet reference address, or from your computer. Just be sure you edit your image size down to something like 800-1000 pixls wide so as not to eat up too much bandwidth.

Yes, that area in your image is where the issue was. It works now, curve is a bit tighter than I would of liked, but it's not going to be visible.

The layout is progressing well. I've got a bus feeder line run around the mainline and in the yard, and feeders soldered to the track and connected to the bus. Some scenery is in, with the next stage being power to the turnouts. I just need to get some spring loaded, SPDT switches for that.

I don't know why you can't see the images, you have to click on them, but they are on Flickr and I can view them on any browser I've tried (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Edge on a PC) - do you have pop-ups blocked or something like that? (I do and I can see them too, even if I'm not logged into Flickr)
IMG_2942.jpg

and another where this website won't take the upload for some reason.

https://i.imgur.com/2wQdnoe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had a Central Midland layout that I posted a lot of photos about the mods I made over here:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?8141-Problems-with-quot-The-Central-Midland-quot-Atlas-HO-29-layout-w-Pics

A lot of my postings begin on page 2 under the name 'railandsail' at the time.

As I've said all of my numerous photos have disappeared??

My layout plan was a 'flipped version' of the plan, and I built a whole round house scene into one of those loops at the end of the laout. If you want to see some of those mods (photos), let me know and I'll repost them.

I utilized flex track and 'smoothed out some of those tight curves to run longer locos, cars. But not every curve can be made idea for longer items.

I would NOT use any automatic turnout controls for most of the 'yard turnouts above the curved track underneath. Just not enough clearance (by the way I was able to run a Rivarossi Big Boy and a Broadway Ltd Y6b on my layout). To control those turnouts in the yard I figured I could just use my hand (cloe enough by arm), or run a 'surface rod' under the track (but still on top of the subroadbed board.) over to the edge of the yard,...manual control by a small small push-pull of the rod.

I just found this quote of mine on my old Central Midland layout. If you look at some of the small radius Atlas turnouts that were specified in the building plan of this layout, it is QUIET SURPRISING I was able to run these big steam engines on it. I also had several 4-8-2 Mountains from IHC that i would run double-headed on this layout !!

Back