Carstens Publishing and RMC

Since MR uses the term 'expert' to describe their editorial staff one has to ask how many NMRA Master Modelers they have on staff? Let me pull a Kreskin (Google that one) and say the number is zero.

Kreskin, eh? He was amazing! So was Karnak:D.

MR Expert's Bios (From the current subscription sales flyer):
Editor - Tinplater - rebuilding his Hi-rail layout - also building an N scale 4'x7'.
Managing Editor - moved over from "Trains" - O scaler.
Senior Editor - Legitimately an accomplished HO scale model railroader - Not MMR. Soon to retire?
#2 Senior Editor - used to work for Lionel - webmaster - has modeling interest - No scale mentioned.
Assoc Editor #1 - reviews products - has interests - claims to be expert at modeling locomotives and rolling stock. No scale mentioned.
Assoc Editor #2 - Has a plan for 12'x26' HO RR drawn up, Specialty is structure modeling.
Assoc Editor #3 - Highly skilled in scenery and design - O Gauge layout.

This is your " Dream It. Plan It. Build It. Buy It" Team. Not one claims the title of Master Model Railroader, I doubt most ever heard of the designation. They are "This Experienced Team of Experts". That's all we need to know.

Joe

If you have a favorite railroad, chances are, it has a Historical Society. That's a start. Most Historical societies have decent or better web sites. Generally, they have a "links' page that connects to affinity (railroad related) web sites, including discussion groups.

Google the railroad, if you are patient, you will find many interesting facts.

Many of the groups are on Yahoo.

Joe

Joe

I appreciate that information (and in fact have already joined the historic society of the line I model), but I was actually speaking more from the modeling side. Where do the 'good' modelers go, that I might benefit from their wisdom?

Jim

To be honest, the title MMR doesn't mean anything to me except that the person in question likes to follow certain rules to get a certificate. It's hardly a requirement for editing a MR magazine.

How, then, does one go about finding such groups? Not even to become a contributing member, but just to broaden one's knowledge base and learn new approaches, and even just admire the work of highly capable modelers.

Try http://kitforums.com for one place. Ij is run by the Jimmy who owns the Pennsy Middle Division layout. I found it and here by Googling using Model Railroad Forum as the search terms.

By FCL2117;

To be honest, the title MMR doesn't mean anything to me except that the person in question likes to follow certain rules to get a certificate. It's hardly a requirement for editing a MR magazine.
Same thing I was thinking. I do however, want the magazine to give me accurate info in an understandable and relatively easy to follow format on subjects that interest me. I also know that not every issue is going to have content that interests me to the fullest extent. I am willing to overlook the articles that are aimed at the beginner as long as that has not become the main target of the magazine.

Just as there are articles aimed at the beginner, there are articles that are beyond my capabilities and/or interest. I know and understand full well that will be the case before I buy an issue or subscribe. If I find the ratio of the content to be unacceptable to me then I will no longer buy that magazine. That is the question that everyone must decide for themselves.

I have subscribed to Trains but I have never subscribed to Model Railroader or Model Railroad Craftsman. Those were magazines that I checked the content of before buying and that is the way I probably always will do with them. That said, I find some months to be very good and others to be a waste of time and money. Money that is better spent on something tangible for the layout.

I agree that having an MMR isn't a requirement for editing a MR magazine, MMR is a certificate that the NMRA confers upon their members that meet certain requirements. However, MMR is a recognition - of sorts - that the MMR is considered an accomplished Model Railroader by the NMRA's standards.

Who gets to determine the qualification/title "Model Railroad Expert"?
MR's editorial staff has apparently determined that they are the sole entity entitled to be called "Experts" in the field of Model Railroading.
That's where the comparison with the MMR comes in.

For that matter, are there any real requirements for editing a MR magazine?

Expert is a marketing term that means nothing.

Like the books called 'the official (whatever)', it's completely meaningless.

There's quite a bit more in achieving MMR status. The person has demonstrated his ability in many facets of the hobby, model building, operating, designing, has done service to the hobby, etc.

The "certain rules" are quite specific, and Achievement Program certificates are only awarded when the modeler has achieved all of the requirements.

If a person has the MMR status, then he has shown he has at a minimum participated in the hobby with high quality work, not just someone who passed a few tests. So he should have a decent idea of how things work and have a good knowledge of most aspects of our hobby.

The reason I even brought up MMR is if MR considers it's staff 'experts' then I want to see something other than their word that says so - like recognition by your peers, not just being a legend in one's own mind. I would call Bob Boudreau an expert.

The reason I even brought up MMR is if MR considers it's staff 'experts' then I want to see something other than their word that says so - like recognition by your peers, not just being a legend in one's own mind. I would call Bob Boudreau an expert.

Well, yes, having seen his work first hand, I would agree with that.

Sent from my Vic20 using JavaMoose

Joe

I appreciate that information (and in fact have already joined the historic society of the line I model), but I was actually speaking more from the modeling side. Where do the 'good' modelers go, that I might benefit from their wisdom?

Jim

Thats an interesting question. I found that it is a hit and miss on the query or quest of finding such information. There are various societies and clubs. I belong to a few in my MRR. I am always looking for great modelers of pretty much any RR because you can learn off from any of the models/modelers techniques, products, etc...

I have been here on this forum for quite a while and I have to say I have always been impressed with the members here old and new members. We have a diverse base of people that are talented in there own right.
In which they all seem readily to help or answer questions etc. It is the reason why I have stayed here and will remain.

One bit of infothat I stumbled into about 7 years ago is a WPM (Western Protype Modeler) it has several chapters if you will meaning spin off clubs thru out the western US. There is another such club on the east and mid states too.
Here are some links of these folks works...

http://www.pbase.com/search?q=wpm&x=0&y=0

You can also see below my Name "handle" the list of sites I belong to at various sites etc. Ya cant ever get enough of trains if you ask me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread actually. A lot of good posts, some dissagree with others but its civilized dissagreements so its cool. I totally understand the premis of this thread too. I have been a MR subscriber since 1987 and although I always keep my subscription up to date, it does lack that craftsman quality big time. But I still enjoy it and feel like im missing out if I dont keep it up to date, even though spending nearly 50 bucks is making the justification to do so a question in my head on if its worth it. Enough to the point that I kept my subscription up when I was out of the hobby in the 2000's. But 45 or whatever bucks per year does become harder to spend on a magazine that is a bit too entry level for me but I do have to admit I still enjoy it or I wouldnt continue to renew. I do however opt for the 3 year deal which last I checked, equalled about 35 bucks a year. I got the same flyer in the mail recently that someone brought up in this post. I figure thats a pretty good deal to extend my subscription another year.

As for RMC. Fantastic magazine that I really wish had a better schedule on getting issues out and addressing the issues that subscribers had with them. They had a booth in town at a Worlds Greatest Hobby shows that recently came through town a few years ago and were running a 25 dollar, 1 year subscription so I paid the 25 bucks and waited. After about 3 months nothing showed up in the mail, they said those that opted at that show would be getting thier subscription soon. I started getting them about a month later and while they were consistent every month, it wasnt the same week or even at the beginning of the month for that matter. Always seemed to be at some random time of the month, but the content is wonderfull but I just couldnt handle the consistency (or inconsistency) and let my subscription lapse. Plus the fact that have both RMC and MR arent cheap at both the same time. But every time I see an old issue or current isse of RMC outside of the one year I subscribed. I always drool over the content. So much so that I constantly go back and fourth in my head of paying the 125 bucks for a 3 year subscription.

I wish Carstens had the staff power to make a DVD collection like MR did in 2010. What a fantastic resourse of meterial that would be to have in a collection. I honestly found I enjoyed RMC so much more in that one year subscription then I have for many years of MR.

I agree with you on the DVDs that MR did ....I too will be getting those DVDs then will donate all my MR magazines and Trains magazines. As for RMC that would be nice if they did the same but I only seem to collect the ones that have Union Pacific articles on kitbash etc. I also loved Mainline Modeler too. That would be awesome if they did or someone did DVDs on Maineline Modeler. I am still looking for copies I lack on those. I also like these:
Extra 2200 South
Diesel Era
The Railroad Press (TRP)
Mainline Modeler
UPHS Magazine
CTC Board

Speaking of spastic delivery of RMC - anybody get their January issue yet? Their website says it has been mailed (and the February issue is in production). From the paragraph describing the issue it sounds like another good one. This'll be my last subscription issue as my sub runs out with this issue (and I've still not gotten any renewal notice in snail mail).

Anybody know where RMC's printing and mailing happens from? NJ or someplace else? If NJ I should have gotten it already (I'm in Trenton).

Just looked up sub prices - 3 year print & digital is $130; 3 year print is $100; 3 year digital is also $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack, I don't subscribe to RMC but buy each issue as it comes out. As recently as this past Friday, Jan 18th, it wasn't in at Barnes & Noble. I know the subs usually go out before the retail stores do but even so it still seems a bit overdue even for RMC.

... As recently as this past Friday, Jan 18th, it wasn't in at Barnes & Noble. I know the subs usually go out before the retail stores do but even so it still seems a bit overdue even for RMC.

Starting a few months ago, my RMC subscription started coming VERY late. If I'm lucky, I'll get my January issue by the end of the month, but probably not until the first week in February.

Guess who's not renewing his subscription.:mad:

Jack, I don't subscribe to RMC but buy each issue as it comes out. As recently as this past Friday, Jan 18th, it wasn't in at Barnes & Noble. I know the subs usually go out before the retail stores do but even so it still seems a bit overdue even for RMC.
What prompted me some time back to cancel my RMC sub was finding it at the local B&N before I got my subscription issue in the mail. After that happened repeatedly I gave up on them. Renewed a few years back and things were going fine up until the middle of 2012 when issues started coming late again.

Wow, till I read this thread I thought I was the only one who thought MR was going downhill. I've got over 55 yrs. of MR in the cupboard. I now blow through an issue in about 15 minutes and I'm done with it. Doesn't take long to go through 82 pages, probably a 1/4 of which is ads. I'm trying to recall the last time an issue contained a drawing of a new prototype loco like a Genset etc., or a structure. This used to be a common occurrence. Also multiple part articles (other than the annual RR construction article). The locos & product reviews are cursory at best. I can read the manf. info and find out about as much. It seems that if I'm interested in something, I can download a PDF, for a cost of course. These were the types of things that used to be in the magazine.

The magazine strikes me now as just a flyer to advertise all the other wonderful books, DVD's etc containing info that used to be in the mag. Gone are the Gordon Odegards, Westcotts that made MR the #1 model RR mag.

Wow, till I read this thread I thought I was the only one who thought MR was going downhill. I've got over 55 yrs. of MR in the cupboard. ... Gone are the Gordon Odegards, Westcotts that made MR the #1 model RR mag.

My collection was pretty complete up to the 2000's, when it did start really going downhill. Very rarely do you find articles the caliber of Mel Thornbrough (sp), or Jack Work, or even John Allen 's commentaries any more. Even more rare are the "everyday" type articles on actually building something. Anyone remember the "Dollar Car" series???? I've seen where many modelers have said that the older MR's have no relevance to today's hobby. That just shows they never really read one. I keep and use them for things that just aren't in today's magazine.

Yes the Odegards, Westcotts, John Pages, are all gone, along with that quality, I can't help but to wonder, couldn't Kalmbach have found equally capable men to run that mag? We all know that they are out there.

My collection was pretty complete up to the 2000's, when it did start really going downhill. Very rarely do you find articles the caliber of Mel Thornbrough (sp), or Jack Work, or even John Allen 's commentaries any more. Even more rare are the "everyday" type articles on actually building something. Anyone remember the "Dollar Car" series???? I've seen where many modelers have said that the older MR's have no relevance to today's hobby. That just shows they never really read one. I keep and use them for things that just aren't in today's magazine.

Yes the Odegards, Westcotts, John Pages, are all gone, along with that quality, I can't help but to wonder, couldn't Kalmbach have found equally capable men to run that mag? We all know that they are out there.

It seems that they (MR) are all just about making money in advertising, marketing and nothing more. Definitely not much talent....oh well

Back