Can you run HO and N scale together?

PIN DR

I am considering a layout where a lower level will be HO scale and an upper level will be N scale. I would like to model Switzerland and it struck me that the mountains in the background would look much bigger if I had N scale running in front of (and through) them. It would also allow me to do N scale buildings and tressle-like bridges that would have the same affect of making mountains and valleys larger in comparison to the trains. HO would be on the lower level and that is where all the switching and other activities would occur.

Can the two scales be run off the same DCC system, or do they need to be separate? Anyone know of a setup like this (and perhaps a link to a video or photo site)?

Jeff

As long as the N scale part is in the background, it should look fine. It would provide forced perspective, giving the illusion of greater distance. But if the N and HO areas are too close it would look strange and the illusion would be lost.

You should be able to run both scales off the same DCC system, assuming the system provided an adequate number of addresses for your motive power.

Yes, if cleverly done, with a fair bit of separation requiring the eyes to focus on one or the other, and not both simultaneously because they are within a few inches of each other, it should work very well for your purposes. I'm sure you don't need to be told that they must be wired, powered, and controlled as two separate systems.

And most importantly, it's your layout so do what makes you happy. :) After all, model railroading is supposed to be fun.

Welcome to the forum Jeff! There was an article maybe 2 years ago in Model Railroader where some guy built a layout on the concept some Swiss immigrants settled in the Pacific Northwest and set up a ski resort in the mountains. The lower level he ran HO scale Great Northern passenger tairns and in the mountains Euro style N scale. It looked very cool and what a great concept. Not too far off of yours. I would suggest getting a back copy.

Gary,

Great information, that sounds like something very interesting and definitely along the lines I was thinking. I will see if I can get a copy of that article. Anybody happen to know what issue it was?

Jeff

the only issue is amperage draw, and that depends on the system capability to power the layouts. How many engines you have on live track, can you turn off power to tracks engines are on so power isnt drawn of them just sitting there running sound, etc. You could assume 1 amp per locomotive HO, perhaps 1/2 amp per N scale engine. An average home layout mey be fine with a 5 amp system. Having friends over running several trains at once going 8 amps better, and breaking the layout into power blocks with dcc booster the thing to do. DCC is DCC no matter what scale. Individual manufacturers have the own specific features, but the standard NMRA specs stick while they use extended addresses to do their tricks.

There is a small article in the Sept. 1988 MRR on using N and Z scale. Should apply to this as well. Ron

I will see if I can get a copy of that article. Anybody happen to know what issue it was?

The railroad is called "The Grand D'Elusion" and the guy who made it is in SE Wisconsin. He's also been on the public TV show, "Tracks Ahead". His layout was featured in the April 2010 issue of MR: http://mrr.trains.com/magazine-issues/2010/april-2010

(I got to see it when I was researching an article on model railroading about the same time as that. It is pretty amazing.)

This TrainFest brochure also has an article about the railroad's builder: http://www.trainfest.com/newsletter/TF-EXPRESS-OCT2011.pdf.

Wow, wonderful links, thank you. And thanks to everyone for the discussion here and on the other link about choosing a scale. I am waiting to start a project until after Trainfest, but hope to get going shortly after that. Given my newbie status as a model train guy, I think I'm going to start with just HO scale and see how I do. But, I have BIG ideas and am unlikely to "settle" until I get there.

Jeff

Back