Can we talk Brands

I don't think I am like that - sure, if I see something I like and want, I will usually go out and buy it, but I have to like it to begin with - kind of how I got my car - saw it in a persons drive with a For Sale sign on it and said to my wife - "I want that car, and I WILL have it ..." She sighed and immediately knew we were getting a new car. Four days later I drove it home fully paid for :)
I'm the same, all the Loco's I have are ones I saw and liked, probably why I such a large number, regardless of era, I've everything from geep 7/9 to SD 80's, but I do like the Demo liveries if I can get them.

Boy this thread took off. I only buy the refurbished models from BLI. Usually at a good price and they run and look great.

My favorite fixer upper is the Mantua Mikado 2-8-0. I put a sound decoder in one and added firebox lighting in it and loved it. You can still get these for around $50 if your patient. They are heavy die-cast models that run well with a Tsunami decoder in them. The decoder was more than twice the cost of the loco. Now they have the Econami decoders which really make it worth doing. Of course I sold it when I gave up on trains and someone else is enjoying it at my cost. I need to do another.

Last edited:
Prices are very subjective, what is good value to someone is a rip-off to another.

Some of the prices charged for new locomotives and rolling stock can be rather eye-watering, but unless we can see what the full costs involved to produce a model are then we wont know if the companies are covering their manufacturing and overhead costs. Each company will have different costs they need to cover before they can set a minimum selling price, and all companies need to make profit for future investment.

Prices are very subjective, what is good value to someone is a rip-off to another.

Some of the prices charged for new locomotives and rolling stock can be rather eye-watering, but unless we can see what the full costs involved to produce a model are then we wont know if the companies are covering their manufacturing and overhead costs. Each company will have different costs they need to cover before they can set a minimum selling price, and all companies need to make profit for future investment.

You are absolutely right about costs being subjective and only relevant to the individual. What is expensive to one is good value to another.

As for the "profits", well - that is another story all together ... just ask atlas ;)

Back