Can we talk Brands

I stopped buying 4mm stuff a couple of years back in favour of US items. Though I have picked up a few 7mm items recently!!!!

Hornby has definitely lost its way over the last few years, out of my collection I only have 4 Hornby items, one Hawksworth BG and 3 Class 142 Pacers that I've resprayed and put them on High Level motors and gearboxes (and Markits wheels).

I'm slowly selling off most of my 4mm items whenever I get a seller promotion through from eBay
I need to do the same, I'll keep most of my steamer's tho' as they have sentimental value to me as someone who, many years ago, rode on the footplate of the great's like Gresley, Mallard and Scotsman

Oh yes indeed, I'm still recovering from doing a split chassis conversion for a friend a good few years back. I'm sure it aged me!

Their modern steam loco's are pretty fabulous though can be tricky to get into with all the detailing bits
Yeah, the actual conversion is pretty simple to do, it's finding space inside the body for the decoder, I ended up milling chunks out the chassis to fit one, and was an N scale decoder.

Lucky you!!!! I never even seen a steam loco in action until I was 45!
Greatest feeling in the world, I worked at Steamtown in Carnforth, (now closed) Mallard, Scotsman, Gresley, two Black fives, (one was Pendennis Castle) a couple of tank engines and a assortment of other's, all working, I was hooked on steam engines from day one.

I'm kind of in the camp as Tony. I have had several Bachmann's in N scale and had very crappy luck with them. The only time I have considered them for Ho is when they came out with the Siemans Charger. I have read they did a tremendous job on them. Unfortunately, I drug my feet on the Midwest Amtrak and its long sold out at most places with a decent discount.

And where back to shitty QC ... :)

Anyway, enough about "them" I might just buy a BLI 2-8-0 with DCC etc already installed - darn sight easier for me :) Diesels I can work on - well, Kato engines and TCS drop in decoders anyway - Steamers - they scare the poo outta me 😁 :rolleyes: :oops:
Why, there's no difference, still have an electric motor and drive, it's only the wheel configuration and the piston rods, everything else is the same.

Why, there's no difference, still have an electric motor and drive, it's only the wheel configuration and the piston rods, everything else is the same.

Doing the install isn't the issue - it is as Mike says below, getting into them to do that which worries me. With a diesel (well Kato anyway) you drop the body/shell off and that is it - you have access to everything you need whether you use a drop in or hard wire decoder.

Steamers - as you said, wheel configuration and piston rods and what ever else needs to be removed just so you can start :)
I suppose they look more complicated than they really are, but they look intimidating to disassemble and reassemble!

You hit it on the head In a nutshell Sir! ;)

Steamers - as you said, wheel configuration and piston rods and what ever else needs to be removed just so you can start
WHAT, !!!!! heaven to bettsy, where the heck did that idea come from, unless you need to replace a cracked gear or a pick up, you rarely remove the wheels on a steamer, and as they are all connected, they lift out as one complete set, and go back as one piece, you just need to slot the bearings (if it has any) back in the same as you would a diesel.

I suppose they look more complicated than they really are, but they look intimidating to disassemble and reassemble!

In most cases to remove the bodyshell from a steamer

slide front bogey/pony to one side
use a screwdriver to remove screw under said bogey/pony
lift front of chassis and slide forward slightly to release rear tab in bodyshell

How much easier do you want it to be.

@Smudge617

All I know is the first (and last) steamer I tried to remove the body of to do a DCC install fell apart and parts went every where, including the wheels and a lot of little bits and pieces. I swore - I would NEVER do another after that. I have also seen instructions for DCC installs and there seems to be a lot more to be removed. It might depend on the engine as well, or make, but one I looked at had you removing individual body parts, fire boxes, cabin, things down the sides, the boiler part and so forth.

As said, it might depend on the steamer or make, but from what I have seen - not as easy as just removing the trucks.

@Smudge617

All I know is the first (and last) steamer I tried to remove the body of to do a DCC install fell apart and parts went every where, including the wheels and a lot of little bits and pieces. I swore - I would NEVER do another after that. I have also seen instructions for DCC installs and there seems to be a lot more to be removed. It might depend on the engine as well, or make, but one I looked at had you removing individual body parts, fire boxes, cabin, things down the sides, the boiler part and so forth.

As said, it might depend on the steamer or make, but from what I have seen - not as easy as just removing the trucks.
But that's what I'm saying you shouldn't be removing the trucks at all and removing the firebox??? If you remember which loco it was, let me know.
I've only one US steamer, and as I recall that was only one screw, think I need to dig it out and have another look.

And where back to shitty QC ... :)

Anyway, enough about "them" I might just buy a BLI 2-8-0 with DCC etc already installed - darn sight easier for me :) Diesels I can work on - well, Kato engines and TCS drop in decoders anyway - Steamers - they scare the poo outta me 😁 :rolleyes: :oops:
Just had a look at the Mike your talking about, nice looking loco 🙂

@Smudge617

I have no idea as it was so long ago. All I can assume is it was a bachmann thing. Other than that, I really can't remember sorry. I am guessing it was probably a 2-8-0
Just had a look at the Mike your talking about, nice looking loco 🙂

Yep it is - the BLI one your talking about right. I do have one of them and can't wait to run it. Also can't wait for BLI to release the DCC ready engines as well. Lets hope they are reasonably priced.

@Smudge617

I have no idea as it was so long ago. All I can assume is it was a bachmann thing. Other than that, I really can't remember sorry. I am guessing it was probably a 2-8-0

Yep it is - the BLI one your talking about right. I do have one of them and can't wait to run it. Also can't wait for BLI to release the DCC ready engines as well. Lets hope they are reasonably priced.
At $370 with paragon 4 sound, that's not bad.

I like this one tho'

I wish BLI would offer three types of engines:

1. DCC Ready (which I believe are coming)
2. DCC, and
3. DCC with sound.

I don't know about anyone else BUT i really don't care too much for sound so am a bit apprehensive about paying for something that I really don't want just to get what I do want and need - DCC.

I think if BLI had those 3 options at reasonable prices, they would do better and have a lot more customers.

Back