Can these couplers be replaced with Kadee?

Gdelmoro

I have 2 of these log cars that I can't use unless I can change the couplers to knuckle (Kadee).
IMG_0054.JPG
The tricks look like they are attached to the frame with pins but they don't budge. The couplers are attached to the trucks. anyone ever do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cars are HO check the Kadee website to find out which of their couplers fit this car. If that doesn't work cut off those couplers & mount a Kadee box to the frame. Get a their coupler height gauge to make sure they are at the right height.

They look to be NEM couplers, a european brand, I believe there may be a Kadee conversion for these. Do you know who the manufacturer is of the car or of the trucks themselves?

All couplers can be changed to Kadees; or, whatever coupler you wish. However, the process may include some surgery to complete. I have never seen the couplers you've shown, before. Good Luck with the process!

Looks like there's a coupler box on the frame, is this HO?
Can you put up a picture of the bottom of the trucks?

Mark is correct. You can replace anything with Kadees. The question is how much work will be involved. Is there a plug and play solution? I can't tell without seeing more detailed pics. If you can open the coupler pocket, then most likely yes.

I will have to agree. Kadees can be mounted on just about anything you want. Some direct replacements are available and if they aren't, with a little bit of work, they can still be mounted.

Hi.These are by Rivarossi.
I have the "Timberjack" set with 4 cars plus Heisler loco and have replaced the couplers with McHenry No. 56.
The couplers just pull out and the replacements pushed in and work very well.
Kadees can be fitted but requires modification to the coupler housing which is NOT to NEM standards.
Hope this helps. Colin.

Hi.These are by Rivarossi.
I have the "Timberjack" set with 4 cars plus Heisler loco and have replaced the couplers with McHenry No. 56.
The couplers just pull out and the replacements pushed in and work very well.
Kadees can be fitted but requires modification to the coupler housing which is NOT to NEM standards.
Hope this helps. Colin.

That's what I wanted to know, kept me try and pull them out. do i just push a whisker back in? What holds it in place.
Here are some close-ups
IMG_0005.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

Hi. These are just like mine !
The original coupler clips round a peg which can be seen in one photo. the clip is open at the end opposite the coupler and if you pull the coupler out the clip should open and let it loose.
If it will not come out the gap in the clip should be eased slightly with a screwdriver or maybe the two springs nearest to the coupler need squeezing together with pointed pliers to allow the clip to come out of the housing.
Hope this helps. Colin.

Back