Can of worms

EHodges

Gentlemen....
Figured I would open up a can of worms with this but really get some good input into this.

What build of locomotive do you enjoy the most? (EMD, ALCO, GE....etc)
Also post what your most favorite locomotive is. I know there will be a ton of questions on this but what locomotive do you enjoy modeling the most?

Here is the answer to those questions from me.

I like the sound and look of the EMD locomotives from every generation over GE. I was not around for ALCO so no though on those.
My most favorite locomotive would have to be an SD40-2 or SD70ACe.
I model NS and I pretty much have some of each type of locomotive and still searching for more......

I grew up during the 1960's, when 1st generation EMD dominated the rails. I have fond memories of hearing those normally-aspirated 567 prime movers on B&O geeps and F-units thundering up 2% grades.

I haven't ever really given it much thought. The sounds of just about any motive power under load has always been music to my ears.

By CSX_road_slug:

I grew up during the 1960's, when 1st generation EMD dominated the rails. I have fond memories of hearing those normally-aspirated 567 prime movers on B&O geeps and F-units thundering up 2% grades.

Change B&O to CB&Q and the story is the same. Their sound has never been equaled. Those early GP's and SD's are the gold standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the locomotives made by Roanoke shops (N&W) and Lima Locomotive Works, and some older Baldwins.

excellent

This is the great input I was looking for. I unfortunately great up in the 80s and 90s so pretty much most of the newer stuff is what I am use to. From a small town I same a few EMD and very few GE engines. Now I have grown up and living in the Washington DC area I am surrounded by CSX but still love the NS locomotives. My 6 year old is following in my foot steps. When I am not deployed we have to go to the train station at night and watch VRE, CSX, and Amtrak everynight!!!!

I also 'live' in the DC area (Sterling, VA). I suggest Alexandria's Union Station (236 and rte 7) and a weekend trip to Manassas. A little further away, Brunswick, MD, and the B&O Train Museum - where you can see an Allegheny (C&O H8 - 2-6-6-6) as well as some older equipment.

Also, the Great Scale Train Show at Timonium, MD is fun, with 5-20 club layouts and tons of sellers. Next one is Oct 27-28.

My personal choice are the early Alcos. I model in western Montana, where there weren't very many, but I always liked the looks of them. The picture would be a hint. I do have a few EMD's that I have also custom painted, but Alcos top my list. I grew up during the steam to diesel transition era, and that is what I model. That's one nice thing about freelancing, nit pickers don't have many nits to pick.

Attachments

• 0018.jpg
    0018.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
Second gen (or is that 3rd?) EMDs and GEs:

GP38-2
SD40-2
GP50
B30-7
MP15

I don't care much for the looks of the current widecabs.

I was born in the late 70s so my railroad exposure has been almost entirely GPs and SDs. I've been around a few scenic / excursion trains running some peculiar equipment.

Somehow I've come to be a fan of the Alco RS-2 and RS-3, though. That's entirely based on looks, though. I like the shape of it.

Other than that, I like the engineering attempts at something different. Like the UP steam turbines, Shay, the GG1, DD40X, and SP's cab forward steam locos. Instead of just milking the same old design, those guys were trying to make a large leap forward. Granted, most of the time their crazy ideas totally flopped, but it was fun to watch! :D

My choice would be the sd40-2 and the newer sd70's. I do like the es44's a bit also. Born in 86 in a non-railroad town so i've not really seen much else lol.

trip

Y3a,
Believe me I know all about Manassas and also Quantico. My son is 7 years old and has been diagnosed with Autism and ADHD. Trains really calm him down so everynight after I get home from work we have to make a trip to the Fredericksburg train house (as he calls it). On the weekend our adventures carry us to Quantico for the model railroad club which is in the same building as the Amtrak and VRE station. He can run trains with me and watch the CSX and Amtrak trains run through right beside the building.

I love trains alot. I have been in the hobby around 1 1/2 years now and I have grown into the hobby so much. On my way to work most morning through the country side I always pass by a sweet NS SD40-2 and SD70 engine heading to work. I see alot of NS locomotives throughout the day. I have modeled everything from a GP30 in NS to a fully custom NS SD70ACe that is getting sound right now. I hope this hobby continues for years on.

Always remember the fallen flag roadnames and the history that comes from them!!!!

For me, its what I grew up with. 1st generation Alcos and EMDs, music to my ears!! :D:D:D Especially the loping of an Alco at idle, ;)

As a locomotive engineer today, I love the SD 40-2. Especially if it's got the old multi-tone whistle. They pull great stop great and sound great.

Greg Amer
The Industrial Lead
gregamer.com

Back