Calling all Husky Stack Gurus

MPCRR

Maple Pacific Coast
I have a switching system that requires either the Load Limit or the Light Weight of a car, and on all my Husky Stack cars, there is only a Load Limit on them. Anyone know the Light Weight on the 48' and 53' Husky Stacks?

Thanks in advance

Greenbriar's web site states the Light Weight for the 53' cars is 50,500 pounds. They don't make the 48' cars any longer but I would guess the weight would be somewhere around 45,000 pounds.

Maybe I've allways assumed wrong, but should the text on a car not be "LD LMT" = Loading wight limit, and "LT WT" = light weight?

Hummm, if so, then I'm seeing a TON of misprints, if not, I'm misinformed.

Josh, the abbreviations are right. LD LMT, to be technical, is the absolute maximum allowable weight of load, including both net weight and dunnage, that a freight car is authorized to carry. Are seeing a light weight of 137,700 stenciled on a model or prototype Husky car? It seems hard to believe that builders of the cars got the light weight wrong on their web site.

Well we know the builder didn't get it wrong, I'm pulling from model cars, so that much be a misprint. I cannot find my notes from railfanning... Wish I could, then I'd possibly have the light weight.

Go figure Athearn would screw something up.

On these two units I have, there is only the LD LMT, no LT WT. That is why I asked. IN teh prototype ones I looked at as well, it was all Load Limit.

RexHea, I use a prototype switch list that I got off a shortline in Oregon, the Central Oregon & Pacific (CORP). It lists the total length and weight, loaded or unloaded, at a stop. I'll have to post it up here after I refind it.

Not looking at the Athearn cars, I have a Walthers 3 car set and they list the following:
LD LMT 165100 per unit
LT WT 163000

Now, as they mean 163000 per the set, then a single should weigh out at 54333.33.

Maybe thats why the single units I have are wrong! They printed them for 3 unit sets, both an Athearn, & a Walthers are up there.

Thoroughbred, now that makes perfect sense. The light weight is for a single unit on the Greenbriar site. The stencils on the models are for the light weight of the three car set. Since the sets are normally never broken up, having the light and loaded weight apply to the set seems to be the correct way to do it.

So, I was checking a "new arrival" Husky Stack that I have, and it says the LD WT is 54200, is it just that Athearn screws these up allot?

I sometimes think that they stamp weights on model freight cars at random. I was bored one night and grabbed about 10 cars from layout and looked up the weights and dimensions. The majority were Athearn BB cars. All the Athearn cars had some wrong data and a few had data that didn't even match they type of car. The only one that had everything right was an old Roundhouse 50' NKP plug door.

Back