Cab signals

NYC_George

This is mostly a northeastern thing but most all the trains that run in and around Grand Central Station, Albany and Boston run with cab signals. That's how some of the trains are able to run 140 mph. With out cab signals your not to exceed 79 mph. They started installing them around 1975. They're displayed in white only on both sides of the cab. (in example) If an advanced approach is displayed you have 7 seconds to make a brake application. If your not down to the signal's speed 45 mph in 15 seconds the train control part of the cab signal will make the brake application until the speed is achieved and so on.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Nickel Plate, along with the NYC, was one of the pioneers of cab signals when the Cleveland Union Terminal was built. I know all the CUT engines had cab signals and the NKP adopted them not long after.

Computer control

I think the Nickel Plate, along with the NYC, was one of the pioneers of cab signals when the Cleveland Union Terminal was built. I know all the CUT engines had cab signals and the NKP adopted them not long after.

I know out west it would cost to much to install the hardware. To many miles to cover. I could see Cleveland though.
In the future I plan to run my layout by computer mostly for when people come over to see the trains run. I thought it would be a good idea to write some cab signal software one of my other hobbies. I want to be able to exceed the 79 mph seed limit.

NYC_George

Back