C415 project

RIRRfan

Hello all,

Just joined the forum and looking for some help.

I have decided to do a C415 and RS3 duo from a photo I saw from the net. linked below.

I'm a Rock Island fan and while searching through web sites I found a nice photo of these 2 work horses. #423 (C415) and #456 (RS3)

RS3 seems pretty easy to get( just got it) but I can not seem to find a C415 anywhere.

I was wondering if anyone has come across a C415 model anywhere?

Also, I thought about making one.

As the cab sits in the center I would need to build around the cab.

Any ideas as to which type of loco's I may need to convert into a C415?
picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't IHC have the C415 in many (often incorrect) roads? They would have been a fairly recent item. I also believe ATT (?) did one may years ago in plastic. There was probably at least one run by a brass manufacturer .

Not sure.
From some of the other threads I found after posting this seems to be the case.

recent searches of current manufactures didn't lead to anything solid.
However, I have located a C415 that needs some repair. waiting on a reply.

c415

i have a IHC c-415 in rock island it runs pretty good hand rails are a little large, but i am going to have a decoder but in it :eek: GARY

http://www.pbase.com/pnwr1853/image/111103830

HO scale is easy. No one makes one in N scale though. I have 3 in HO scale. This one was an old Life Like model. I believe IHC made them too. I know there was a company that made one in Brass. The only thing, is if it had Hi-ad trucks, your out of luck. I am currently working on custom making a set of Hi-ad trucks for the C-415.

Good news. I just won an auction for 3 C415 in Rock Island colors #418, #415 which will be renumbered to 423 for my project. and an un numbered one that will get the number 417 to match 418.

#418 looks near mint.
#415 will need rail repair.
#417 will need decals and rail repair
picture.php

I am not sure of the manufacture but Mehanotehnika is listed.

More when I recieve them this week.

a friend of mine has two c415's for rock island that are brass..I'll see if I can find some pictures for you.

I read those threads. Nice units they have.

I did some research on #417 and #418. They are in tandom in a few photo's but #417 seems to be the more popular for transfer service.

The RS3 will need rail repair as well. I bought it from consignment and had a look. The trucks and body are in great shape.
When my package arrives I'll post before shots of all.

C-415

I just got a Mehno(IHC)415 off E-Bay. It is not a smooth runner!!!! let us know if you re- motor yours?:D

The mehano motors are generally good if they are the can-type. I can't say the same for the drives though. The Mehano motors don't draw much current (I hooked up a decoder in my IHC-Mehano GG1 and the decoder runs both motors in the model with no problems)

As I don't have a lay out ( Space is very limited) I doubt that I will re-motor them at this time. I will however lay down a short line to test the run.

I haven't ran the RS3 yet, but when I bought it the box said "runs". I suspect that it does run but will be choppy at best.

Day off today so I'll do some loco testing to day.
(crosses fingers that C415 package arrives today)

UPDATE:

Just ran the RS-3.

It sarted out real slow but over time it got faster and stronger.

While running it I noticed that it had a grinding sound like one of the trucks was off the rail.
After checking to make sure it was placed right. I proceeded to pop off (yes pop as I didn't know the body had been glued on) the body and check the electrical.

I found that the contact area was black with grim and dirt.
So I grabbed a que tip, dapped a little rubbing alcohol on and proceeded to scrub.

After getting it "clean" I retested the run.
The grinding noise was gone.

I'm not real sure if the cleaning or the popping off of the body was the culprit for the grinding noise.

So, now with the rail repair I will need to secure the body back to the chassis.

Update:

I recieved the package of 3 C415's today.

The run down.
1. Maroon #415, Needs rail work and a new motor. Test ran it but it jumped and started to smoke.

2. Red (new number) #417 needs rail work, cleaned and 1 coupler.

3. Red #418 very nice model. I didn't see any defects at all and ran very well. A good cleaning may improve operation. Model had a little jumping while running.
( my track isn't tacked down so that may be the reason for jumping/surge)

I'll have to spend some time at the local store and see if I can find railing to repair what is broken on the 2 C415's and RS-3

Great project you have going here. Did you actually find an RS3 with the modified hood? I didn't think that anyone made a model like that.

I don't what kind of hood that is they put on there GP7..GP9?? but it would be pretty easy to modify. Then you would have a pretty unique engine.

Back