Building the Quanah Acme & Pacific RR, along with the Frisco, DRGW, BN..............

Thanks Chet,
It is both a blessing and a curse. It seems I never have enough time, trees, or other scenery material. I took all this on by myself, I have learned that next time I build a MRR (if I ever do) it wont be as complicated, and a single track outfit with sidings and a lot more on-line switching. Don't get me wrong we can run 4 switch jobs (between 10-30 cars each) at a time, a yard trimmer, and hump job. But it gets hard to keep track of all that LOL.
Anyway If you get a chance, feel free to stop by.

Checked out some of your other videos. Excellent work. Sure is nice to have a space like that.

I know what you mean. That's quite an undertaking for one person. I am a lone operator as there are no other modelers in my area. I started my layout over 30 years ago and it probably will never be "finished", but all of the track is now down and probably over 95% of the scenery is in, but some of the older areas will be updated i time. I had thought about doing something like what you have there, but realized that without help it would be quite a lot of work. I do like the idea of a long mainline run, but with the space I have available it would have been too cramped. I decided when construction was started that the layout would be built mainly for switching. In the end, it has worked out just fine. What you have there is amazing and I wouldn't think of trying something like that on my own.

Again, Well done.

You do beautiful work are your trees hand made or bought. I'm working on my 2nd layout and everything is a lot better then my 1st except my trees are a challenge

Hi Edsland,
Thanks for the comments

Most of the trees are handmade mostly by myself, but I have been given trees some handmade some mfg'd by friends over the years, there are a lot of mfg'd trees too, but they get a heavy dose of modifications before installation. Out here we have millions of acres of Sage Brush. A great deal of the non pine type trees are made from Sage armatures. I have another batch of trees made and ready to install, just get out there and put them in and watch them disappear :)
Tom Holley

You do beautiful work are your trees hand made or bought. I'm working on my 2nd layout and everything is a lot better then my 1st except my trees are a challenge

Here is a video of the outfit as viewed from the Toy Man's lens. He has great equipment and much experience.

[video=youtube_share;L9mgLd7jOA8]https://youtu.be/L9mgLd7jOA8[/video]

Tom,

What is resin paper?

I grew up with the SP and introduced myself to the D&RGW in the mid-1980's so I'm a big fan of both, and have been collecting rolling stock for them for some time now. I've backdated primarily to the late 70's and early 80's.

BTW, I didn't realize until I chatted a bit with Nick Molo of Moloco that he is a big Frisco fan! I've been collecting his most excellent box cars slowly in one's and two's as they are not cheap.

I enjoy your western SP/DRGW themed layout and that's right in my sweet spot!

Tom,

What is resin paper?

I grew up with the SP and introduced myself to the D&RGW in the mid-1980's so I'm a big fan of both, and have been collecting rolling stock for them for some time now. I've backdated primarily to the late 70's and early 80's.

BTW, I didn't realize until I chatted a bit with Nick Molo of Moloco that he is a big Frisco fan! I've been collecting his most excellent box cars slowly in one's and two's as they are not cheap.

I enjoy your western SP/D&RGW themed layout and that's right in my sweet spot!

Thanks for looking and for the comments, It is a small world huh? And getting smaller all the time. I seem to have about the same amount of Frisco, BN equipment than Rio Grande, and SP, The D&RGW, SP was just what was on the MRR the day he was filming. The power gets rotated all the time. That explains the wide variety, but mostly western rolling stock. I need to get more eastern post 1975-ish rolling stock.
Here is a link to the Rosin paper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rosin_paper

I mis-spelled it on some posts, but this is the paper and mine is a brownish color. For less than 10 bucks at Home Depot.

Thanks for taking the time.

Tom,

Look forward to looking at your videos further, some time soon.

I agree that having, or attempting to build, maintain, and run a large model railroad has its huge challenges, particularly if you're a lone wolf. I'm currently working on a roughly 34x28' ho layout, by my self, and still don't have anything running yet, after 5 years of design and construction. But I was getting closer every day, prior to my wife being hospitalized about a month ago.

Not to hijack the thread, but at this point, I'm seriously reconsidering my choice(s). I've been considering whether to soldier on, or to throw in the towel, and go with a smaller, more manageable design. Either that, or going to O 3rail, which is how I got started way, way back. A larger scale effectively reduces the room size, and has the added benefit that its easier on the eyes. Its a tough call, as I've been toying with my concept, and collecting equipment for it, since the early 1980's. If I made the jump, I'd probably look to sell my HO stuff 'in bulk,' with a few exceptions, and not look back. You can find my HO layout under the Philly & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC thread in the Layout Construction section. Some of my O ideas I have under the 'Amish International Speedway' thread in the O scale section of this portion of the forums.

Carl/Otis

No worries Carl, I hope things are going better for you and the Missus.
Been a long time since I posted here, too many sites not enough time. Here is a little project I started a few years ago, still not done (do we ever get done?), any way a few pics, need to add some more vegetation here and there especially in the rocks.

20171015_180044.jpg

20171027_180324.jpg

Here we have some ground cover and a few bushes, also a road coming down towards the little flat spot. My miserable attempt at backdrop painting.
20171104_182528.jpg

Now with a few trees, a cabin, some people, additional items and vehicles installed
20171105_163539.jpg

A little closer look.
20171105_163623.jpg

Again not finished, but a bit closer!
Thanks for stopping by, and takin a look.

I have built a few QA&P locomotives and cars since my last post on this thread. Remember I model the QA&P (subsidary of the Frisco) like it made it to El Paso TX as originally intended. But there was a chartered RR that proceeded the QA&P. And that was the Acme Red River & Northern (tru story), again I model it as they were all one happy family.
Here is a CF7 that I painted, decaled for the ARRN, the one and only #130.DSC00679.JPG
DSC00680.JPG
DSC00681.JPG
Thanks for checking in.

The QA&P crossed the FW&D (BN) at an interlocking just west of Acme TX, and went in a southwesterly fashion to Paducah and then to Floydada TX where it connected with the ATSF. It was flatter than pee on a platter in some places, and others not so much. The Pease river break country was curvy and had the ruling grade (westward), the Tongue river as well as climbing the cap rock had some interesting curves and grades as well. I model the QA&P like it never went away, and eventually did make a connection with the T&P and had trackage rights into El Paso, witch was its initial plans, but alas the great depression hit and they settled on a Floydada connection.

Here we have a couple QA&P Geep engines. They are BB Athearn units, highly modified and detailed GP60's. GP 60's are great locomotives, all the ones I have had the pleasure of being the engineer on, were solid performers, and would pull more than you might think a 4 axle unit would. All the RR's that bought them from EMD quite literally ran the wheels off them, 600 mile days were not uncommon. Now they are light weight switch/local engines. Oh how the mighty hath fallen. Here on the "Q" , they are still front line race horses.
SLSF GP60 799 FS.jpgcamera 016.jpg
Thanks for stopping for a look-see

Last edited:
OK, I am sorry I havent been keeping up with all the good efforts you folks have been up to around here lately, I have looked when I can, your all doing some great work!
The QA&P picked up the lease on EMDX 5, a GP60 demonstrator. The GP60 series were very good locomotives a few RR's just ran the wheels of these things 500 mile days were not uncommon, and these units did it for months at a time without a single failure. I had 4 of them on a unit auto rack train some 60+ cars and boy did we zip home that night. Just the thing these locomotives were made for. A few of the images on the web showed the brake cylinders all had been changed on this unit, so I paints them in primer, per the images. There were 3 of these particular demonstrators, with the early 60 series dynamic brake blisters and those angle nose and cabs (all were 3D printed and designs of Ryan Harris). Hardest part was getting the glued on Dyn/Cab/Nose off the P2K shell. I added a few details like air dryers/ filters, some piping and fuel tank details. The beacon/ air conditioner and horn were added as well as what I think was EMD's design of a antenna atop the cab on the engineers side. These Demo units had like 4 different types of fuel fillers. I tried to match the paint as best I could, got close enough and the weathering took care of the rest. I tried to keep the weathering down a bit as EMD tended to keep these things looking fairly good. I didnt want it looking like it was headed to scrap LOL.
Anyway a few pics of it here on the ready tracks with a couple "Q" mates waiting on a TOFC shooter, headed to El Paso.
DSC00740.JPG

DSC00745.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

DSC00742.JPG

Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks Willie! And congrats on the new addition to your family.

Thanks Rico for your input. And here ya go for a layout tour (#1), some pretty bad camera operations on my part, its been some years ago, and a lot of progress has been made since this was recorded. It is a DC operation, and with the expenses to convert, unless I win the lotto, its likely gonna stay DC.

Back