Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Lynn, Yep, there will be water. Realistic Water from Woodland Scenics. All other water products just don't measure up in realism or ease of application. This time around however, I am NOT cleaning the bottom of the creek bed. What ever has fallen in there will be covered up. Many/most water courses and even lakes and ponds seldom are not treated this way and I thought I would see if this is 'the way.'

Jim CM&T:)

I would imagine that creek bed would normally be quite dry, allowing plant growth to take over a bit and only get water on occasion, so a bit of 'after storm' run-off over that would be very appropriate.

Sorry for mentioning the "pinnacles" connection Jim, a hangover from my previous occupation of Cat unbagger.

Toot, Don't be sorry. Actually, it was a test to see who was paying attention. Something left over from my school teaching days.

There will be water in this creek. Remember I built it with a two degree slope. I have to make use of that. I'm also curious to see how all the 'stuff' laying there turns out. Jim :)

So, that's what you did when you weren't sailing the world or scaling precipitous heights. Which was the scariest, the deep oceans, the perilous climbs, or teaching a bunch of kids (or adults for that matter)?

Thanks MR113, Happy Holidays.

Toot, I taught elementary school for 10 years. Tough job. Climbing was probably the scariest however. Since you can drown in 6 inches of water the deep oceans were not big deal. Out of sight of land for 20 days is a big deal. Worst part of the 6 year voyage was a 4 day storm in the Red Sea. Fought for our lives in that one. Jim :eek:

Wow, Jim ... I would have thought you would have been out of sight of land for longer than 20 days.

Your landscaping talents never cease to amaze me.

Thanks Sherrel, Looking back I guess it took me 21 days once. Can't remember where though. Canary Islands to Antiqua was 20 days, same as Columbus! Cabo to the Marquesas may have been 21. Seattle to Hawaii was 20 days as well. Jim;)

I've been putting off this long side Sculptamold fascia issue off for long enough. I got to it this morning after I finished the bridge at the far end of the creek. Too me this looks much better that traditional Masonite fascia, but if hardboard works for you go for it. I like this way because it dries 'rock' hard and carries out the terrain above to some logical conclusion. Looks like I'm going to be a couple of pounds short of Sculptamold, off to Amazon later today. Jim:)

IMG_8273_zpsuuilrvib.jpg

Thanks Jim. I've sort of evolved to this look I guess. In searching for reasonable realism I just could not get over the "museum" type look of hardboard. As photography became more important I started building scenery down a few inches to the hardboard. After that phase I settled on using 'rock.' I want the visitor to feel like they are 'in' the layout. Jim :)

Getting some work done. I poured the first couple layers of water in the creek.

IMG_8274_zpskouhjec4.jpg

And got my two bridges finished.

IMG_8275_zpshj7wfcdp.jpg

I will add a couple of trees today to the 'back' side and will basically be about 66% complete. Jim:)

Getting some work done. I poured the first couple layers of water in the creek.

IMG_8274_zpskouhjec4.jpg

And got my two bridges finished.

IMG_8275_zpshj7wfcdp.jpg

I will add a couple of trees today to the 'back' side and will basically be about 66% complete. Jim:)

Looks great Jim and Happy Holidays.
Mike

VERY well done, Sir! It gives a 'this is not the end of the layout' feel to the edges of the bench work! BRILLIANT! (lol!)

The stick in the creek is a nice touch! You got that whole 'realism' thing down pretty good! I LIKEE!

Looks like i am going o follow you some Jim. Working on #2. you went what, 5?? I need to catch up to you. Merry Christmas one and all, Dan

Thanks fellows. I took this photo yesterday and it is a bridge. Today I've put bolts on the railings and it looks much better, more later. Until then Happy Holidays to you all. Jim:)

15-12-24%20Christmas%20Eve_zps33aergbn.jpg

Just a few thoughts for the new year. We are less than 24000 views until 500000! Don't know if this number has been reached in thread like this? We will have a Contest. Probably the same old compare the two photos unless any of you can give me a better idea. The prize will be my stock of conifer trees. These trees are very fragile, but you've all seen them and realize they may work on your HO, or O, layouts or dioramas. I think I have over a hundred trees, value over $500. They are little use to me now and I would hate to throw them away like so many other things over the years.

Lastly, on January 1, 2016 this thread will be four years old. I thank all who have contributed and wish you all a Happy New Year. Jim :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jim.
I have been following your thread(s) since the beginning and I really like the how to's and the other information that has been shared by you and others here on these boards.
Great work.
God's speed to your next adventure.
Thank you,
Richard

Back