Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

All this talk of rickety look got my attention. Without the comment of 60' I would have figured out to be twice that long. How about another picture but taking in the whole scene so we can put it into context more? The original shot makes jot appear much longer than it is.

The "Last Bridge" would probably work in a real life setting, BUT, it just looks like it needs a few piers to help support the weight of an engine and a couple of ore cars. I really like your use of the scultamold on this type scenery. Really works well. -Chris

If you're not looking to build another layout, how about writing and administering a tutorial section of the forums? I think it would allow you to continue providing the very valuable information that you do and serve as a great creative outlet for yourself.

Great idea!

Good looking bridge. I think the look is borderline on whether it appears strong enough visually. For a shoestring mining operation on narrow gauge I think it works as is. If you do decide to add structure maybe you could just do angular kicker braces (Rail?) on each side rather than full on vertical columns.

As mentioned, it does look "border line" but, as noted, that could be because we only see the bridge, which is fantastic by the way.

I like the idea of "bracing" coming out from the rock faces at either end though. I think that would give it the appearance of solidity without compromising the effect.

Great comments fellows. Here is a photo from straight on. (I don't generally think of taking a poor photo like this but...if it helps)

IMG_6538.JPG

Seems like it does need something to help holding it up. I again just used scraps laying around the drawer and closet. Back to the LHS on Monday to look for some solutions. Also, the slope cut is about 50 degrees. Tough to make that work on the outside curve. I'll think of something. Thanks again, Jim:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Two tree trunks angled from the rock to the bottom point of the 3rd V from each end. The timbers should go at about a 45degree angle from the rock.This will leave 4 V's between the braces. Use an X brace between the 2 timbers from each side.

Toot, Not long enough for that. Maybe if it was Z scale.

RR, Great idea. I will give that some thought. On the other hand I'm not running on a full tank anymore. Seventy this October. I have made a decision however. I am going to tear down this trainroom and will not have another layout this size. I've done six layouts in this, our only spare room. I've done all the scenery possibilities I've wanted to do and of course finances make using much of the 'old' stuff on new layouts necessary. This is not bad, but I build so much that I think I'm getting bored of seeing it all the time. I will take down the backdrops fill the holes in the walls and repaint. I will have one more layout however. I'm thinking of a 5'x7' table upon which I will simply have an oval of track and one turnout. It will be built in On30. HO will run on it too, but the philosophy will be the opposite of this layout where HO is the primary gauge. The layout will be in 'Fine' scale, which I sort of do now, but I will do this one even better with even more attention to detail. Trees will be for the most part redone using the furnace filter technique. As usual photography will be the final reason to build the layout and after the photos it too will be gone. Maybe me as well. I have at least two open houses scheduled so we'll see if this one can make it a year! I'm also mulling over the idea of darkening the 'desert' rocks and planting all my 'fir' trees to show folks what can be done to make a sort of new layout with just some simple adjustments. Well, it sounds interesting to me and someone may get an idea or two from it. We'll see. Jim:)

OK, so if not an arch, then as suggested, straight braces, angled back to the canyon walls on either side, but made out of track rail to keep an all steel theme.

We had all better get our fill of this layout then. Furnace filter eh! Certainly no coming back from that. (Well, not unless you throw Daniel in there too)

Jim, excellent work constructing your bridge! I also think it needs some type of supports but you have to look at it everyday!

Sherrel, If you are talking to me I remind you of Satchel Page. "Never look back, someone might be gaining on you." No matter what I've done in life it has mostly non-stop. Except for making money, I did everything pretty well! Also, I think some of the folks here like to give input and I did ask for opinions so it is all good.

A2T, Thank you. I will have some supports. I'm working on them now, but I still need one more trip to the LHS. Jim :)

Jim (and everyone) I'm having trouble typing. I've been in the Hospital for 6 weeks having a colestomy, and being infected with MRSA, I have missed everyone terribly. I will still take weeks for my vision to really return and to begin feelig OK. I'll be reading though, as I get better. Thanks for being here!

Finally got 'Last Bridge' finished. I doubled up the top girders and even put in 'cement' piers. I hate those things. I have only ONE last addition to the other side of the layout an I will be done.. Jim:D

IMG_6539.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, the bridge is now perfect. A whole herd of elephants could cross over and the bridge wouldn't even budge.

So let me get this straight, you are going to take this layout apart, down, kaput and then do a 5' x 7' coffee table type? - Chris

Thanks fellows.

Not quite a perfect bridge but one that should better look the part. Drilling all the holes was the hardest part!

Chris, Not a coffee table but more of a counter height. Probably about 42".

I have an NMRA open house in September. After that the "Layouts of Southern California" group will probably ask for an open house. After those then the layout will come down. Don't know when really. Jim:)

Erik, That's a good one. I'm assuming you're referring to those sand drawings? Neat those.

I suppose I could build 'em until I keel over, but I have a thing about 'unfinished' business. Jim :)

Back