Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Having an NCE DCC set up like yours, I wonder if you ever figured out exactly what went wrong & what cured it.....it all got pretty vague there at the end. Inquiring modelers want to know:D...

Jim, I’ve posted here before, probably about a year ago. I’m the guy making all the dumb newbie mistakes. (Cost a little money, but) I’ve learned a lot from your thread, and am always referring back to it. I recently tried out stucco for some mountain background. You’re correct; it’s MUCH easier than plaster molds. I just need some more practice in sculpting the rock.
I’m also interested in learning about your DCC problems…

Steve, Welcome back then.:)

Here's the deal with the NCE system problems. NCE went the extra long mile with me as far as customer service goes. They even sent me a PowerCab and a new Power Panel off their warrenty workbench. One that they personally use. I plugged their parts in and voila', it all worked. I plugged mine in and it all worked?:eek: So who solved the riddle?

My best guess is that it all started to work after I soldered the tips of the buss wires that go into the wire holder device that plugs into the Power Panel. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Jim:D

Steve, Welcome back then.:)

Here's the deal with the NCE system problems.

My best guess is that it all started to work after I soldered the tips of the buss wires that go into the wire holder device that plugs into the Power Panel. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Jim:D

Tut, tut. I am sure someone (wasn't me 'cause I wanted to know what the problem was) said to check those connections way, way back.

Toot, You may be correct, but I'm putting 'another' electrical incident behind me.

So moving on here is the finished photo of the "hump" which is gone to my satisfaction. Comparing this photos with similar ones in the thread we can see the hump is gone now. Jim:D

IMG_5221.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
RR, Looks like the PCM&T layout will end up in the trash come September. It is a beauty, but it looks like 60/40 against at this time. :(

Toot, good link. I've dealt with that company before and would again.

187, Thanks for the comment.

Only 4000 hits before the next contest. Jim :)

Okay, after some serious thought on a new layout project I'm closer to a final decision. How's probably? Best I can do right now. I've had three Z scale layouts, one N scale layout and now one HO layout in my small bedroom. I've done NW Cascades, SW desert, Alaska, and Central California. I've used all the materials for model making except ceiling tiles for rock formations. Next time I'm at the big box stores I will check on pricing. I have a neat idea for any possible layout. Not available to you all right now. BUT I do have a question:

If I do one last layout (HO), Should I call it Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Company Southern Division? Local will definately be south of Alaska. That way I keep it in this thread but refer to it as the Southern Division. Thoughts? Jim:)

As far as the name goes, I think that is a good name. Anyone that has been following your original thread will know the change and still be interested to follow it, plus they don't have to go anywhere else to look back into the thread for needed references. Question? Are you sticking with the drawing (plans) you posted on post #966 page 97? And south of Alaska means.......? - Chris

Jim , do what I did and have some decals made then you don't have a choice but to stick with it or pay to have new ones made . LOL

:rolleyes::eek::confused:

Mike

. . . I've had three Z scale layouts, one N scale layout and now one HO layout in my small bedroom. I've done NW Cascades, SW desert, Alaska, and Central California. . . .

I have really enjoyed much of the discussion on this thread and, of course, the pictures. Do you have an album (on this forum or another) that includes a few pics of your other layouts? If not, do you think you could take some time to out a few pics up? (I know this is not necessarily a small "ask," as it takes time to locate, select, and upload photos).

As far as starting a new thread or appending a related layout onto this thread, the one thing I will say is that exceptionally long threads are sometimes daunting for newcomers. One option that would allow you to start fresh is to link this thread in the first post of the next one (regardless of the setting of the next layout) so people can get the context of future discussions as they please.

As for myself, I have no preference. If you start another layout and document it on this forum, I will certainly follow.

Jim, please, please hire, cajole, or hijack someone to do a rolling video of the existing layout, before you trash it. We need a full record of this amazing creation for posterity. I will definitely stick around to see your Southern Division.

Jim, please, please hire, cajole, or hijack someone to do a rolling video of the existing layout, before you trash it. We need a full record of this amazing creation for posterity. I will definitely stick around to see your Southern Division.

I'm with Steve and I am willing to put some money up if that is an issue.

So far so good. Thanks fellows for the votes of confidences and offers. Money is not an issue for something like filming. No worries. I guess I'm just not a video guy. I haven't a clue why not. It may stem from the hassles learning a new 'skill' on posting videos. I have no idea.

I do promise that I will take some vids with my Canon camera and learn how to post. Like still photography I will want to do it right. So please bear with me on videos. I'm still faced with a track issue inside the new tunnel that I had to lay track in when I did the redo. My only diesel, an SW-1 w/dcc, is the only loco that will make it through. Half my cars derail so it is the major pain in the backside currently. That, and I'm not feeling very well right now.

IF I do a next layout the dateline may be 1940, up nine years, from this layout. SW-1's came out in 1938. We'll see. By the way, how many SW-1's with DCC do you think exist? Jim:)

Back