Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

JPIII, Correct. Don't know why, don't know how. It just happens.

Jim, Thanks, 1:1? Not in this lifetime!

Here's a photo I took this AM. I call it 'almost done' because really only the water still drying is a problem. Enjoy, Jim CM&T:)

almost done.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Video?

Hi Jim

Thanks again for sharing your layout build, I have enjoyed it very much!

Any chance you could post a video of a loco running through your layout?

Mike R

I'm sure there's many more photo ops yet, Jim.

And even if one day you do decide to dismantle (perish the thought) you could do a series of "withrawal" shots (for most of us it would be) of the loggers cutting down the last of the trees as they also pulled up the tracks and then the undergrowth reclaiming the track bed.

Could keep us going for months.

Jim, builders build, it's that simple. My back is shot and my thumbs are arthritic, my hands look like war torn Europe, but I hope to drop dead while building my own coffin.

Yes, when old Arthur Righteous comes calling, he can be a real killjoy, just gotta try to keep moving to keep ahead of him.

MikeR, Video? I'm not a video guy, but I will try and get one done. I guess I have to post on YTube?? Don't know how to do that either. I'm on Photobucket, but I don't really know if they do videos. Probably before Christmas.

Toot, Most of my track is kinda over grown as it is! Funny you should mention overgrown track. I'm currently in the process of 'overgrowing' the track by the camp. It is on a slight slope and I figure if I 'overgrow' it the cars would stay at the end better. Great minds think alike. Jim CM&T:)

Here's the photo of the 'overgrown' track in the mining camp. There is still room for the miners to get to the two-holer but obviously weeding is not a high priority.

overgrown.jpg

Other than an often overlooked scenic element on our layouts this overgrowth serves a purpose. Somehow while laying this section of track it was slightly inclined. Put a car on the end and it would slide forward two inches. That is now fixed! Cars stay where I want them and they don't derail. Jim:)

MikeR, Video? I'm not a video guy, but I will try and get one done. I guess I have to post on YTube?? Don't know how to do that either. I'm on Photobucket, but I don't really know if they do videos. Probably before Christmas.

Thanks but please don't feel obligated if you're not comfortable doing it.

(videos can be posted through photobucket)

Toot, I wouldn't necessarily take credit for 'overgrown' braking systems. It just seemed to be a good way to stop cars rolling without the old file a gap in the track method. Odd that!

MikeR, No worries. I want to do one. Right now I'm have NCE DCC issues and my stuff if being mailed today back to NCE Warranty Dept. Bummer. Don't know how long I will be out of commission. Jim:)

Making that section of track overgrown has given me an idea. I have two sidings and I'm thinking now they need some additional work. Later. Jim

New photo of the overgrown sidings tomorrow afternoon US PST. I thinkd you will like it. Light is bad today. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Jim :)

Well this isn't quite afternoon but see what you think.

First is one of my favorite photos I've ever taken. It shows some backwoods tracks. A going to seed main on the left and siding on your right. You may remember this one.

track.jpg

Now here's some proof to the old adage a layout is never finisihed.

testing again.jpgtss.jpg

I like the modeling in this second one myself. Overgrown? Yes! And, no derailing. Jim :)

Thanks fellows. RR, yes, the track siding had to be shortened about 2-3 inches for the geometry to the ore tipple to work. I had to add back to back #4 turnouts succeed in the plan. Lucky me it works! Jim :)

Jim sorry if you went over before on how you make your trees but i missed it.

Your trees loom superb.

There is quite a few videos on youtube on ppl making trees from scratch.
Ive seen ppl make them out of wire which was pretty awesome.

If you do not mind could you briefly go over on how you do your trees.

I consider myself a budget modeler. I try and make things out of what i can find if possible instead of going out and buying expensive trees.

joed2323, Go back to Page 75, post 744 for Jim's tutorial on deciduous trees. You'll need to look at the fairly early pages for his pine trees.

Thanks Toot.

Joe, I think you will find the Caspia tree making link on Page 5. Look for post #50. There is a link to the recipe over on Trainboard. These Caspia trees are best made for HO or larger scales. They are fairly inexpensive when compared to store bought. Jim:)

Thanksgiving means more to Canadians and Americans than to other countries, but that is not important. Here a Thanksgiving picture from the PCM&T just for the fun of it. I call it Work Train. This pictures modeling before arthritis and other aliments got to me. Enjoy. Jim:)

work train3.jpg

Back