Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

There are roads around here (PA/MD) that were cut like that. I had a neighbor once that claimed the roads were laid out and the hill compacted as a result. I don't think he's right.

I believe that the DOT did that to smoothen it out a little bit. A very little bit. With all the hills, taking some out of a high spot to fill in a lower spot makes perfect sense, especially if it's close by.

Thanks again fellows. Plans are coming along for the left side of the layout. I'm toying with the idea of making my desk smaller or finding a smaller heavy work station. No luck finding anything yet. Jim

If you are looking at further expansion, perhaps you'd consider adding a lower area and moving the dock area down to a lower height. AKA Make the mountain bigger by expanding it towards the ground.

Railrunner130, I thought about something nearer to the floor. You must consider that I have two cats and while they are excellent companions in the trainroom. Something climbable down low may be too much for them to resist. Good suggestions though. Thanks, Jim

Well, I've been busy working on a fellow's Z layout for him and I've been staring at this photo on my computer desk top for a couple of weeks. I know I've been busy, my desktop photos are the last check before I ever post one. Looking at this one I remember it was taken in absolute natural light after 6 PM. The light from the skylight and just a bit through the window is all the light no. No desklamp for extra color here. Enjoy, Jim:) PS: Thanks to all of you who have visited this thread. That's over 15000 in four and half months. Happy Mothers Day

DawnHaul.jpg
Cannot find this photo. Jim 12/24/17

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made some trees and added the first layer of ground cover in the background. I will probably put smaller trees on this cliff as these look a bit large. Still trying to get these trees to look right. I think I need to add more branches. Jim

IMG_1105.jpg

Say Jim,
Your Caspia trees look very nice. I really like the use of Raw Umber [RU] and light Grey on the trunks, and the random use of an old saw blade for bark effect.
The tree trunks look very natural.

As far as the amount of branches that would vary I'm sure, I don't think your trees look too sparce at all but that's up to you. Don't forget to have some Greyish Tan probably RU again for dead branches below the green growth and even have some on the ground too when you get to that point.

Btw, the use of the stucco patch isn't too bad for the hill sides either. Your coming along great and giving me insentive too!

Thanks Gary. Most of us can do this kind of work if we only give it a try.

Dave, Thank you as well. If you go farther into this thread you will discover that "scenery" and most of its nuances are covered. Fallen limbs is a valuable addition to any layout.

A note about fallen limbs. Remember all that this layout is out in the boondocks of SE Alaska. Near the track for the most part, and for sure around the dock area and mining camp all the limbs would have been picked up for firewood. Many times I've seen a modeler's lumber and mining camps littered with too many fallen branches. Good idea farther than a man can carry one, but not 'realistic' inside the camp area. Fire wood is fire wood and the less time spent splitting logs for stoves is time well spent! Thus, most of these camps had very little burnable wood in the vacinity. Jim :)

Thanks Gary. Most of us can do this kind of work if we only give it a try.

Dave, Thank you as well. If you go farther into this thread you will discover that "scenery" and most of its nuances are covered. Fallen limbs is a valuable addition to any layout.

A note about fallen limbs. Remember all that this layout is out in the boondocks of SE Alaska. Near the track for the most part, and for sure around the dock area and mining camp all the limbs would have been picked up for firewood. Many times I've seen a modeler's lumber and mining camps littered with too many fallen branches. Good idea farther than a man can carry one, but not 'realistic' inside the camp area. Fire wood is fire wood and the less time spent splitting logs for stoves is time well spent! Thus, most of these camps had very little burnable wood in the vacinity. Jim :)

Ditto Jim , it is a lot like heavy weathering on older era layouts sometimes looks to old to be relatively new for the era.

Mike

GS and Mike, Thanks for dropping in and saying hello. I posted a link to this thread on another site. I got an interesting Private Mail saying this is one of the handful of great information threads on the whole model railroad internet. (I'm not sure about that) The sender was also a bit perplexed why with nearly 16000 hits in just over four months this isn't a 'Sticky.' I couldn't really give him an answer, as for all I know no moderator or admin has even seen this thread. But, this is another query on the the Sticky question. Jim:)

This is an AMAZING thread with AMAZING photos. There's a bunch of great information in this thread for newbies and old hands as well.

I hope I can get my layout off the ground and do half as well.

Thank you.

Hello Jim, really nice to see a whole construction thread on the new layout. I had only seen the few pics you had E-mailed me. The modeling looks superb as usual. I decided to set up shop here after seeing your post at our other "haunt". I will be starting a thread on my new HO venture shortly. I'm assuming you know who this is by now but if not, you can just call me Mr. No Account.....:)

GS and Mike, Thanks for dropping in and saying hello. I posted a link to this thread on another site. I got an interesting Private Mail saying this is one of the handful of great information threads on the whole model railroad internet. (I'm not sure about that) The sender was also a bit perplexed why with nearly 16000 hits in just over four months this isn't a 'Sticky.' I couldn't really give him an answer, as for all I know no moderator or admin has even seen this thread. But, this is another query on the the Sticky question. Jim:)

Jim
Just a suggestion, but this forum would benefit from your excellent tree making tutorial. It is awesome. (or link to it)

morgreh, Thanks for the kind words. Good see someone else on this thread. Hope you learn enough to have much success. Jim :)

Mike welcome. Not a bad place. I know who you are. I can't wait to see your HO endeavors. Start a thread. I will read it! Cheers, Jim:)

GS, This thread is weird. I wrote it and I've probably read it 10 times!:)
Each time I learn something new about modeling! Go figure?? Jim:)

Back