Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Another good post Jim.
I too haven't built a plastic kit for many, many years. All have been wood kits, LASER cut to Craftsman, in between and some scratch built.
I do have the Branch-line water tank kit from Campbells that will go on my layout.

Suggestion to anyone with some experience building wood kits and would like to build a craftsman kit or learn to build/ weather wood structures, buy a kit from Serria West,
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/
They are pricey but the instructions are very, very good and include every step on staining and weathering the wood to get a very nice looking model. Then you can use those same techniques on almost any other wood kit. Their web site also has some instructional info and a user's forum that I recommend looking at.

waltr, Pricey is right. I checked them out and while better 'constructors' than me put those beauties together for their website, I do know enough to see through the 'gloss' and see a top quality product. I only wish I could afford some of their stuff. Good post from you. Jim:)

Jim,
It is their (SierraWest) instruction manual that really makes a difference with these kits. It does have very detailed info on how to get the weather effect you want (lots or less). Their manuals are the key, in fact they will not sell just the manual and if you need another copy you must prove that you have purchased the kit.
All the odds and ends castings do add to the kit cost and the castings are quite good. The lowest cost kit is the Line side Shed ($75).

I'd also love coming to your open house but live on the wrong coast.
Hope it all goes well.

waltr, I only wish I could afford even the cheapest one. Oh well.

Anyway, don't worry about the open house. You and over 10,000 viewers have the best view of what it is all about. Of course you can't run trains or have me take a photo of your favorite loco on the layout!

Speaking of photography, I'm wondering if there is interest on a post of how I take pictures. Theory, camera, lighting, tricky techniques, that sort of thing. Anyone interested?

Since the layout is finished just in time for the open house Saturday I really don't have more "building" postings. If someone wants to ask a question of course I will answer those. Next up: Photos? Jim:)

For example perhaps we could examine this photo in more depth? No pun intended.

Attachments

• number 19 at work.jpg
    number 19 at work.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 216
Last edited by a moderator:
holy wow...

Sorry ive been late to reply on this fantastic front page issue of the next model railroader... seriously

Hoexplorer sorry for not commenting sooner but where do i begin? :)

How long have you been doing this hobby for? im only 29 and i think it will take me til im 60 to achieve half the level of perfection this layout is on, you are on another planet jim, wow i like how you like to teach and show us how you do things. That is very kind of you to do that, not many awesome skilled modelers like you like to share tips.

I wish you were my grandpa no offense, i would love to come over and stare and run trains with you on your master peice.

All i can say for now is awesome job jim, i cant wait to see what you can do next, i will be back to comment more then just lurking

I would like to read and see how you take those photos. Especially what you are thinking when setting up a shot.

examine this photo in more depth
Great pun since the Depth of Field in this photo is really good with everything from the far background to the nearest foreground in focus. I'll guess the camera's on a tripod (you mention this before so no guess), good lights (no flash), small aperture and longish exposure.

Take some pics of the people at the open house. That could be fun.

joed2323, Thanks so much for the great comments. I appreciate it. Where to begin? Well, I've been model railroading for just 6 or 7 years now. I built my first Z scale layout on the sailboat I lived on for 19 years. I started it in 2005 I think. Check out the Z Scale magazines photo and you will see what the date actually should be.

You mentioned teaching. Actually, I did teach elementary school near Seattle for 10 years. The attraction to mountaineering and sailing grew too strong so I left teaching. I still, obviously, have the will and if I have something to share I usually do. Teaching is fun and I like to do it.

You asked a question that many of the viewers of this thread have asked themselves. I'm glad you put yourself out there and spoke up not only for yourself but those reluctant others. Basically you asked or wondered how long it would take to reach half of my level. You mentioned that I may be on another planet. Nope. Right here.

Let's look at modeling from a view we've all had through our lives whether we are 29 or 67 years old. What makes all of us different? While my skills concerning model railroading please you, I'm more impressed by the skills of doctors, musicians, poets, singers, etc. than I am with myself. And, yes, even other modelers.

Everyone on earth has different attributes. Some stand out more than others. We are not all alike. Actually, the world would be a bit boring if we were. Will you, can you, attain the level of modeling you think I've reached? My answer is maybe. I was published with my first layout. The glue was barely dry! With no experience in this or any other 'hobby' I was able to create something worthy of print on my first try. Lucky me? Very lucky. For the same reason one person can sing or be an astronaut, I was able to reasonbly portray an outdoors environment with a train running through it. Am I a brain surgeon or NFL quarterback? No. And, nobody knows why they are not and those lucky few are.

Scenery creation to me is second nature. I simply dump the bits on the layout and what you see is what you get. I really don't know how or why I have the skill and I can't promise you that you will have those skills. It is natural for me. For you, maybe not. You asked the question and I firmly believe that most of the viewers, you included, can come very close. We've all heard the saying, "Practice makes perfect." I'm a believe in that simple phrase. Trouble is many of us, even those with the best of intentions, really don't practice as we should.

My very best advice is to study mine and other modelers stuff. While my niche is the great outdoors yours may be a more urban environment. Study, then try and duplicate it. If scenery modeling doesn't come naturally then the 'practice makes perfect' phrase comes into play. No one said you can't practice on your own layout or module. Try it there and tear the section up if you don't like it and do it again. With each try you will find that you will be better. Good luck, Jim:)

......Since the layout is finished just in time for the open house Saturday I really don't have more "building" postings.
Well.....we could start a new layout: WE= you work, we watch!:D

All kidding aside, I have certainly enjoyed your thread and it shows us all what can be done by going just a bit farther with careful detail and patience. I'm sure that I will refer back to it and use it as a benchmark for my scenery.:)

On second thought: I don't think I am kidding about you starting another layout. Sounds good to me; what do you think fellows?:eek::D

Im a firm believer of practice makes perfect, as long as you care enough to be better each day, there is people who could practice but do it because they have to or do not put any heart in to it, if a person cares enough thats all that matters for change in my eyes. This applies to alot of different aspects.

Jim, did you always model z scale? pretty cool you have been in what, 6 magazines??? so your famous then :)

Have you ever thought or wanted to model ho scale or bigger?? if not, why?

I tell you what though, ive been only railroad modeling for maybe 5 months, so yes im a newbie, i live very close, walking distance to a interchange, so im always watching canadian national trains and e&ls trains go bye my house. Besides the point, Ive been staring at tracks, looking how things look, just looking at things in a different way, trying to get a better feel of the outside.

I want my layout to look like what you and i see in everyday life, not a fairy tail land, just like what you have accomplished. I want to model what i see driving down the road, everyday life in general.

I really do feel your layout and skills are on another level from alot, no joke.

Im glad that i discovered model railroading as i hobby i enjoy.

Jim - Good luck with the Open House today. I'm sure you're going to inspire all that walk through. Sorry I won't be able to get down there to meet you and see your work first-hand.

Thanks fellows. A new layout. I'm afraid my time and energy for another one is pretty much gone. I'm slipping over to the "A layout is never finished" crowd. I always thought that was bunkum because folks couldn't or wouldn't finished and this became the 'catch all' excuse. Looking better to me these days! I went up in scales because of arthritis. I'm done at HO.

By the way, joed2323, I hope you realize that this layout your enjoying is HO? He brings up a good point however. Many thought my Z efforts were among the best. My N layout was top notch. Jury is still deliberating on my overall HO skills. What I've found on my journey to, "making it look as real as I can," is that more 'realistic' results can be achieved in the larger scales. I won't go to O scale to give that a try. I like what I've accomplished in HO and can live with it.

I am giving consideration to making a return loop near the waterfront scene however. I will have to get rid of my work desk and lose one of my three sliding mirror doors on my big wall closet to make this work. I will have to move or eliminate the waterfront scene to make it work as well. Tough choice. How will I get into my closet behind a backdrop???

Got to go. Open house in a bit. Rybcon, no worries. You are always welcome anytime. Jim:)

The open house was quite a success. Even one of my fellow senior softball players showed up. Neither of us knew about the others model railroading. Like many San Diegans he has a large garden layout. The NMRA guys left a membership form. lol I'll think about it, but I'm not much on 'organizations.' I don't mind teaching a seminar or something, but it is probably not me. About 25 folks showed up. Jim:)

Gary, Thanks. A good time was had by all. Even I enjoyed it. One fellow helped plan the next addition to the PM&T. I figured I would ask others their thoughts and one old guy showed me the path. After I get this Z layout out of the way I'm doing for a local, then reconstruction will start.

I will have to move the ore tipple and dock scene or get rid of it. He showed me where to put it and it looks like it will work so it stays. I want a loop on the layout instead of the back and forth. I got a BMann 4-4-0 with Sound and it has nowhere to go. I've got a new plan on the left side of the layout that will allow me to use it. Plus, a bit more layout featuring more pinnacles and rock formations. Should be fun. Jim:)

Next up: Photography

jim, yes somehow i misread and thought this was a z scale layout, i was wondering to myself how does this guy get this to look so nice and big in z scale... haha my fault. Good to see this is ho scale since this is what i like as well...

Good idea with the loop idea, i have two little kids and there would be no way i could make my layout point to point and have them interested without not being able to run the train around the layout, but for others point to point isnt a issue.

jim i lke the idea of a loop i like to watch trains run while doin other things on the layout. the way i have mine is i can run 3 to 4 trains on loops as well as all the way around the entire layout. i have all single track main with passing sideings or can do point to point as well as some switching. not much into operations but do aliitle. could do more operating if i feel like it

Gary, You're right. I think the way I have the layout a simple loop would work. I'm excited to build some more scenery! Lots of crags and pinnacles on the new section. I though about a folded loop but my mind is wanting tracks nearer to the fjord. If I folded it then I would have a nicer cliff scene, but not the look I think I want. We'll see. Got to get this Z layout out of the way first. Jim:)

Some thoughts on photography.

Finally have some time so as promised let's look at photography. First, I am not a professional photographer and my views are simply that-my views. As in any hobby there are many ways of doing something. Generally they are all correct. Remember these are my thoughts, not necessarily yours or the next guys. Not looking for arguments here.

Let's look at this photo again:

number 19 at work.jpg

Most will say that it is pretty good. What makes this photo different from yours, or some of mine, or someone elses? A satisfactory photo should represent what the photographer is trying to get across. In this scene a small camp, scenery, track, bridge, and train. I tried to convey that this scene in obviously not in the Midwest or the Southwest. It is in deep woods, in a climate that gets plenty of moisture, and where the sun does hit, plenty of undergrowth. The track is at the bottom of the photo leading in from the right. Too many times we viewers see side on shots that, while they do show the photographers favorite boxcar, the rest of the photo is simply there and seldom tells us anything.

I like to shoot photos that make the observer not only appreciate the scene, but maybe learn something and even use their imagination a bit.
By definition that boxcar photo does tell us something the photographer wanted us to see and that's all good. On the other hand I build my layouts with only one thing in mind and that is photography.

Weird? Maybe. Remember this great hobby will accommodate many different likes and agendas of its participants. Sadly, I have almost no other reason to be in model railroading than photography. I model to make scenery as logically "real" as I can. To prove to myself that I can do it, I take photos. I don't care about 'operations' so not many yards on my layouts. I'm content to let trains run around a folded loop running through scenery and take photos.

Back to this photo. Notice again that the train is going away from us. Way too often modelers show us the engine and we seldom see what the layout is really about. I think we can see this is a mining layout. The loco? Who cares? Heisler, Shay or Climax probably, but this photo is showing the whole idea of a small camp, the wilderness and the reason for the photo in the first place, mining.

There are many techniques for taking a good photo, even one of that side on boxcar. My best advice is to quit taking photos from the middle of your layout room with the camera in your hand. We've all seen those photos and seldom does the photographer get really honest feedback simply because we, the viewer, can't really "see" anything.

Here's how to take a photo. Always use a tripod! Always use a camera with a timer! Never use a flash! Actually, this isn't my way, it is they way we've all been told how to take a photo for years and years. It is often not done this way.

So things to remember. Photo composition ie. does your photo make the viewer think, even happy? A good photo should be in natural light with maybe only a table lamp or an extra light source to show off some color. If you are in a room with no natural light then you will need light bulbs in the blue spectrum and maybe only one in the red spectrum. You can find these at your bulb stores or at big home centers.

While I don't use Photoshop I don't have a problem with those that have to. Sometimes because we may not have natural light some 'enhancements' must, and I think, should be made. I have something called Photo Impact Pro. It is as least 9 years old now and it allows me only the basic color corrections and cropping. More on that stuff later. I think the program cost about $19 back then and it's around $90 today. So, you can see that mine is pretty primative. I don't think the above photo had any 'enhancements.' Simply light from my tube solar light and my desk lamp. More later. Jim:)

You know, Jim, you have what I believe they call the right approach to your hobby. I have followed your thread with awe and in your last post above you gave a great explanation as to what the hobby should and can be. Well said, I continue to watch this and other threads, trying to hang onto the old 'there is something for everyone' and 'one man's junk is another ones treasure' school of thought. So many correct ways to approach the hobby and so little time and space for argument. Thank you.

Johnny

Back