Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Jim,
Where is your "slut". You put one on my Z scale layout and every body gets a good laugh when I show it to them, I tell them "now I don't have to go downtown lookin for some, I have it right here at my staion. You know, although I've had my layout since mid Oct '10 Every time I run it I still find things that I have never seen. Thanks for being a friend to my stupidity and puttin up with me. Hope to make to 3 shows mid Nov. thru mid Jan '12/13 . Love the rest of the pictures. When I finally stumbled around this site figgered how to find you on it then what you show looks great.

Jim,
The colored pictures are great, but the ones of it in black and white gives it a more realistically look. Just eye perception you guess? Lee

Mike, Inspiration is what this thread is all about. It seems like many who are interested in HO scale have forgot about 'switchbacks.' We can do a lot of interesting things using them in small spaces like mine. Jim :)

Lee, I like the b/w photos as well. No women allowed on this layout. 1931 on the Alaskan Panhandle in some mining camp would be few and far between. I like all the scales. Each has its own personallities and good attribute. I suppose HO wins out for me these days because of arthritis. Jim:)

Jim does that mean if I was to sell my layout, I'd have to get you to build me one in HO, oh no. Have a good weekend. Your pictures are great. e-mail at my yahoo e-mail and let me know what kind of camera you use for your pictures. I've got a plastic cover over the layout to keep the cat's hair off of it. Will the cover hurt it? As I said excellent pictures. I might get me a few F7s as MTL is gonna make them again.

Jim does that mean if I was to sell my layout, I'd have to get you to build me one in HO, oh no. Have a good weekend. Your pictures are great. e-mail at my yahoo e-mail and let me know what kind of camera you use for your pictures. I've got a plastic cover over the layout to keep the cat's hair off of it. Will the cover hurt it? As I said excellent pictures. I might get me a few F7s as MTL is gonna make them again.

A plastic cover won't hurt as long as you have some way to get a bit of air movement under the plastic; otherwise the plastic will trap any moisture/humidity and eventually it will get into the wood and scenery on the layout and also if you have any engines on the layout the moisture will start getting at everything that can corrode in the engine.

Thanks for the ifo. I'm quite sure there is plenty of places where it is not sealed 100% or even 80%. So far I have not encountered any problems. I don't run it with the cover on.

Thanks Gary, I think your the first to comment on it. Only 3 weeks for news to start up on the reconstruction. Jim:)

Can't afford ha

What daya mean can't afford you. Shoot I've got money the Social Security ain't even paid me yet, so there

It is hard to pass time (until July 15th) waiting for something to show in this thread. I have an Open House on July 14th and will begin work on the layout the next day.

In the mean time here is a project I finished yesterday. It is On30 and of course runs on our HO track. I'm bored so I bought this kit and gave some kit making and bashing a go. Fun project. It gives me some practice on weathering and building. Jim :)

IMG_6004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lee, I'm a firm believer in "extra" projects. Those of us who started in the Z or N scales can learn a lot by working on something out of scale. I just did this 'cuz I was bored. But, it is good practice and gives me a glimpse at another scale's attributes. I think I will stick to HO.
Jim :)

HO is easier see, to work on, and accurately detail. N is better for having realistic long trains in the limited spaces most folks today can devote to their model RR. Thank goodness we have both of them!

Jim, real nice job on that flatcar. Who makes the kit? I have been looking for something like that to use for a water car. Thanks, Ron.

Forgive me, please, for being a bit of a slow leak but I have a question.
I'm enthralled by you modeling of bunch/field grass ( pictured on post #172) so described as "tufts" from Scenic Express?

I envisioned having to break out my fly tying gear & deer hair to depict the grass.....but I'll need bout a million of em'......well, maybe only a few thousand.:eek:

Am I understanding this correctly? One can buy them?

Railfan, Correct in all aspects. Don't forget Z for a really mighty empire.

Ron, this kit is from Morgan Valley Models. Google it. Thanks for the comments.

JPIII, No problem. None of us have 'all' the answers. These tufts come from Scenic Express. I use Buffalo Grass style. They also carry larger squares of fixed grasses. I like the individual tufts myself. If you buy the tufts from them or anyone else do not trust the sicky stuff on the bottoms to hold. I add a drop of Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue and glue 'em down.

The tufts are not cheap, but to me well worth the price. I have modeling friend in Germany and he makes his own tufts. Not easy. So check out Scenic Express. (google it) Don't use your fly tying gear it will be even more expensive. Jim :)

JPIII, No problem. None of us have 'all' the answers. These tufts come from Scenic Express. I use Buffalo Grass style. They also carry larger squares of fixed grasses. I like the individual tufts myself. If you buy the tufts from them or anyone else do not trust the sicky stuff on the bottoms to hold. I add a drop of Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue and glue 'em down.

The tufts are not cheap, but to me well worth the price. I have modeling friend in Germany and he makes his own tufts. Not easy. So check out Scenic Express. (google it) Don't use your fly tying gear it will be even more expensive. Jim :)

After foolin' around with multiple flies I discovered that all I needed was a sparsely tied Muddler Minnow to catch Steelhead. Consequently, I laid in a *large* supply of deer hair years ago.....it's just been settin' there for years:eek: along with multiple boxes full of Muddlers. The more tattered they get, the better they work (wish my old bod did)......but I will definitely look into Scenic Express, thanks!

Back