Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Tooot, I'm still searching. Not much from the late 30's. I would love a 39 Chevy for example. The model you see in the photo is from Athearn. Jim:)

Ah! the 39 Chevy! As a young bloke (late teens-20's) when the coupe craze was at it's peak in NZ, if you could get one of those you were envied by all.

Jim, I agree, 22"r is the minimum for reliable operation for the 2-8-0. Jim:)

I saw this on my email a few days ago and it has been bugging me. For my mostly hidden reverse loop I have been planning a 20-inch radius curve to fit the tight space. My visible main line will have 24-inch radii or larger.

I don't have the Bachmann 2-8-0, but it or some other 2-8-0 is on my shopping list for medium term. Now I am worrying that it won't take that tight reverse loop and I should try to make it bigger. How serious a problem is this?

From the DairyStatePhone

Erik, Serious is you can't get to the hidden part. Seems we've established that the Bmann will not work well with the 18" radius but will work fine with the 22". If you can assure you hidden radius will be 20" and not less I would think you will be alright. The Bmann will go through 18" but not the way you would want it to, so 20" should be ok. Not 19.8" however. Some of the other 2-8-0 available seem to have the middle two drivers without flanges and they will work on 18" just fine. It is not impossible to grind the flanges on a Bmann loco to make it work. Dremel tool required as a minimum. Jim :)

2000 views until the contest!

Just a WAG .. But, even filing off the flange of one set of drivers may suffice.
Have not tried it, so don't have the foggiest idea.
My PFM 2-10-0 (all drivers flanged) will take 18" just fine. image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Erik, Serious is you can't get to the hidden part.

Ok, well my intention is to make access easy to all the hidden trackage, so I'm cautiously confident that won't be a problem.

... so 20" should be ok. Not 19.8" however.

And further relieved. I have used a home-made 20-inch trammel to draw out the lines, and I have a set of 20-inch-radius Ribbonrail gauges when the time comes to lay track. Which, if I ever can find a weekend when I don't have work, will be soon! Thanks for the reassurance, Jim...
And BTW, although I've been keeping up with your progress I have been remiss in letting you know how inspiring I've continued to find your work! All best...

Thanks Erik. I've been rushing to finish the right side of the layout for the Contest. 1000 more views to go! Because of the fact that only the top of the layout, and not the planned 'cliffs' area, is finished the layout looks a bit strange to me. It will look good when finished. I still need to build an engine house and freight station so it looks a bit bare. Jim :)

I never thought we would see this many views. In celebration we will have another contest. The Contest will begin Sunday at 1200 PDT USA. It will be the 'What's different' photo contest. It will be a bit different in that the photos will not be shot from the same angle. We'll see how that works out. More to follow. Thank you all, Jim:D

Good one Toot, and yes, I hope the Contest will be interesting. I will have three prizes I'm thinking. The winner can choose any of the three. I will post photos of the prizes Saturday. Jim:)

Good one Toot, and yes, I hope the Contest will be interesting. I will have three prizes I'm thinking. The winner can choose any of the three. I will post photos of the prizes Saturday. In the meantime check this latest photo out. Jim:)

Sundown_zpsd108f2c6.jpg
That looks fantastic Jim , you are a master not only with the construction , but with the camera as well.

Mike

Looks very good. Seems financial times have improved on the Pinacle Creek. Are you planning on hving any cars on interchange service? How about passenger cars? I hope you are having as much fun building as we are here on the outside. JimT

Jim, I have a station so I may have a passenger car or two. Not really my thing. I wouldn't want any longer than 60 ft in any case.

Toot, in my mind this is around sundown! But I can understand your point of view being downunder and all! Jim :eek:

Okay, the Contest is less than 30 hours away. Tomorrow at 1200 PDT USA.

Because many of us have different needs I've decided to offer the choice of any one of three prizes to the winner. Here are the prizes in no particular order.

IMG_6092.JPG
IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

First picture is a picture! It is from the PCM&T Co. and will of course be signed by me. It looks a lot better in real life, trust me.

Second picture is the engine house from the last layout as well. Remember it is HO and small for geared steamers.

Thiird picture is for those who may need an addition to their fleet. It is brand new and can be used as is or decorated as you wish.

Good luck to all tomorrow. Jim:D

I'm glad to see the old engine house. I thought you said that the engine house and the tipple went into the trash? That will be my choices. Oh bye the way, your last photo was truly out standing. Such clarity, and the scenery was great. - Chris

Chris, I kept it just so I could see how it fits on this new layout. Actually the tipple is in a lump on the top shelf of my closet!

3 hours and 45 minutes until the Contest for those counting. Jim:)

Well, personally, after seeing the two aforementioned structures .. I would have worked them both into the "new" layout as a branch to a mining or gravel operation.
Both are excellent looking structures.

Back