Building The CMMR

Wow!! Thats pretty impressive! Must be nice to have proper tools at hand...help out alot! I have a sweet deal that I am gonna check out more on Monday n I might be out there 2x a week.

Took a break from laying out track and started laying down roadbed this weekend. While doing so I was thinking about uncoupling. I had seen some info online about using rare earth magnets, and it just so happened that our local Princess Auto had some on sale, so I thought I would do some experimenting.

preview_p10200700.jpg

preview_p10200720.jpg

I happened to have some metal brackets kicking around that were about the right width and thickness, so I put a couple of magnets on one and placed it between 2 pieces of roadbed. I spaced the magnets so that each one was centered on a rail, and just played with uncoupling some cars over top. It seemed to work pretty well, so I cut the bracket into 1" long pieces, and epoxied a magnet flush to each end. The magnets are 8mm dia x 3mm thick, and together with the bracket are just about flush to the top of the roadbed. I notched out the roadbed at one of the yard lines and test fit one. Once the track is ballasted you should never notice them.

preview_p10200850.jpg

preview_p10200890.jpg

I've been jumping around the layout, doing odds and ends while waiting for turnout pads and turnouts. First I finished laying out all the track locations by printing my SCARM plan 1:1 and transferring it to the layout.

preview_p10200930.jpg

After I had the track locations marked I located the creek and cut lines for the elevations at the north end of the layout. Once I had these marked I pulled the plywood and cut everything out in the garage. I also cut some risers out of the leftover 1 x 4's.

preview_p10201090.jpg

At the creek area I notched out the framing so it sits down about an inch.

preview_p10201100.jpg

I then pieced everything back together and elevated the track over the creek with the risers.

preview_p10201110.jpg

preview_p10201130.jpg

preview_p10201150.jpg

I also completed the Atlas passenger station.

preview_p10201020.jpg

preview_p10201000.jpg

preview_p10201010.jpg

Gary that is looking great!
I'm right behind you on the bench work, still hung up on a few room details yet.

Hey here's a heads up, there's a CEMR caboose and three CEMR ballast cars (ex ICRR) sitting in Brunkild.

While I have been putting down the roadbed it has become it has become painfully obvious that I need to add more lighting to the layout room, so I decided to do something about it. My plan all along with this layout is to build everything so that it is removable with a minimum of damage to the room, just in case we decide to move and have to restore it back to a bedroom.

With that in mind I decide to add a couple of surface mount fluorescent fixtures connected to the existing fixture box via a box extension and some pvc conduit. This way the only repairs I have to make to the ceiling if we move are to fill 4 screw holes.

Here is the existing fixture

preview_p10201170.jpg

Here are the parts to add the fluorescents, minus the conduit. The first thing I did was to remove the existing fixture, then temporarily install the box extension and take some measurements to where the new fixtures were going to go. After I had my measurements I cut the pvc conduit and assembled it to the box extensions with the threaded fittings. I took this assembly out to the garage and gave it a coat of satin white paint.

preview_p10201200.jpg

preview_p10201210.jpg

Once the paint had dried I installed the assembly to the existing box, then located the fluorescents and installed them. Next I ran the wiring through the conduit, connected everything up, and finished it off with a single incandescent to cover the box extension.

preview_p10201240.jpg

preview_p10201230.jpg

I have to say that it makes a huge difference in the room now. I should have done it right after I painted, but live and learn....

Well, I have about 80% of the roadbed down. I am waiting on a few more turnout pads to arrive at the LHS before I can finish the rest. I also picked up some Molex connectors and terminals and wired them up between all the modules. This past weekend I figured what the heck, I might as well install the only two turnouts I own and some flex track. I put the track down with brown Dynaflex 230, and once it was all set I soldered the rail joiners and track feeders. After that it was time for the first official run and lo and behold it works!

P1020166.jpgP1020156.jpg
P1020163.jpgP1020167.jpg

We had our first snowfall today - time to get back to the layout!

Since my last post I have finished putting down all the roadbed and have received all the turnouts. I have also laid and wired more track, including the interchange. I quickly found out that I will have to power the frogs, as the wheel spacing on the GP9 is perfectly aligned with all the dead spots!

preview_p10205210.jpg

Today I finished up detailing the bridge and abutments. I made the abutments out of modeling clay.

preview_p10205180.jpg

With any luck I will have a complete loop done by Christmas!

I have been putting down track a little bit here and there as time permits.

Here is a picture of the crossover with the ground throws installed. I have also mounted a few of the switches leading into the yard.
I placed the Brawa container terminal that I bought off of ebay and am rebuilding in place to show roughly where it is going.

P1020715.jpg

Here is a view looking North at the bridge over what will be Sturgeon Creek.

P1020716.jpg

Looks like nice, tidy work.

I take it you plan to reach over the layout to activate the ground throws?

I take it you plan to reach over the layout to activate the ground throws?

Yes, that portion of the layout is only 2' wide. There are only 2 turnouts on the layout that I can't reach and will have to use tortoise's on.

Back