Building my first toy train 15 foot long engine

Hey that's really coming along!
I'll put money down that you'll be doing a caboose to go with it before too long!:p
You could always have a removable section of roof with a seat or two inside.
Do you have any plans as to what paint scheme you're going with?

I have always loved the old Chessie kitty paint scheme so that is how I want it to look .
Probably have to build a half a dozen coal cars before the caboose .

Don, some of us tiny modelers can't find room for a motor in the locomotive, so we have a "power car" coupled directly behind it. If you built a boxcar (probably take you a day or 2 :D), you could push your loco with the power unit concealed inside that box car.

All you need to do is find someone, or an area club, that runs the large scale equipment. (You may need to adjust your trucks to their gauge.)

Superb work! :):):)

Powering the second car would be a idea. Todays progress picture shows me making progress on the outside truck parts. Should be close to 800 parts on the four outside truck assemblies when completed. One more week I should have the four assemblies roughted in for now. Later I have to go back and build the brake shoes, etc. once the real wheels are made with thicker 1/4 inch steel. www.doncampbellmodels.com

Wow Don, that's really impressive stuff. What kind of hours are you putting into this project? And I'm sure you've answered this before, probably many times, but why have you chosen 1/4 scale?
________
Mary jane

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the positive comments, it will look much nicer when it is completed, painted and decaled. As far as 1/4 scale I really enjoy building large scale models. My next model after this will be a five foot tall Cat D-11R Dozer. Be sure to visit my webpage for more updates each day at www.doncampbellmodels.com

Don are all your models Static? Or do you have some RC'ed to move and run? I been in to the RC realm myself and your models scream, "Make Me Run!" Love the locomotive and the large mine equipment!

Back