Bridge on the River Kwai _ a static display.

That made me laugh at myself. My mother told me that she and I saw the movie at the cinema when it came out (1957). I was 3 y.o. at the time. Apparently, we caught a train home, a good 30 min trip, and I would not stop whistling that march music.

Thanks for sharing.

There is a powerful movie about such death camps, called the The Railway Man (true story), he was also a railway modeler. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Railway_Man_(film)

Derailed

I watched that movie last night. It was done very well.

About the movie, The Railway Man, what also amazes me is that both men eventually befriended each other.
The story behind such existential experiences can be explained by Viktor Frankl.

The book,... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Railway_Man_(book)

Comet,
It tastes like gasoline.
Comet,
It makes your teeth turn green.
Comet,
It makes you vomit.
So buy some Comet,
And bomb it,
Today!

The original bridge,..
[image]
The River Kwai railroad bridge in 2017. The arched sections are original (constructed by Japan during WWII); the two sections with trapezoidal trusses were built by Japan after the war as war reparations, replacing sections destroyed by Allied aircraft.

Here area couple of renditions I photoed at one of the museums,
DSCF2500.jpg

DSCF2487.jpgDSCF2488.jpg

Brian

And one of the locos at a museum,..
DSCF2399.jpgDSCF2390.jpgDSCF2391.jpgDSCF2392.jpgDSCF2393.jpgDSCF2398.jpg

DSCF2397.jpg

Thanks for showing the above photos of the Japanese built bridge, and the locomotive that served at that time.

Just to clarify, the original bridge built by the POWs was not made of steel and concrete, but of wood from the forest. The steel one was built after, the original wooden bridge built by the POWs. It was the steel bridge, which replaced and put into service at the time, which got targeted and bombed.
102731552.jpg

4623649283_331c06b7ec_z.jpg

River Kwai Photo4.jpg

Just to clarify, the original bridge built by the POWs was not made of steel and concrete, but of wood from the forest. The steel one was built after, the original wooden bridge built by the POWs. It was the steel bridge, which replaced and put into service at the time, which got targeted and bombed.
I've a few references to this idea of the original bridge being made of wood, BUT I have yet to see a photo of that wood bridge??

Bridge-Over-River-Kwai-Kanchanaburi-Thailand-.jpg

The circled bridge was the original wooden bridge.
Real Bridge.jpg

The movie bridge was built at a small community called Kitulgala on the Masleliya Oya, a tributary of the Kelani River, between the Sri Lankan capital Colombo and Kandy.

Thanks Derailed,...photo even with a train on it.

I don't even recall seeing that in those museums, but then they had LOTS of WWll photos, so perhaps I missed them

I think I remember seeing something about the difficulty they had getting those steel trusses (original ones) to that site?

Last edited:
Thanks Derailed,...photo even with a train on it.

I don't even recall seeing that in those museums, but then they had LOTS of WWll photos, so perhaps I missed them

I think I remember seeing something about the difficulty they had getting those steel trusses (original ones) to that site?
I have not researched about the steel bridge, only what came up while researching the wooden one.
Some of the photos I found came from the Australian War Memorial, such as..
4094402.JPG

Train crossing the wooden bridge which spanned the Mae Klong River (renamed Kwai Yai River in ...JPG

Back