Brewery

kevin58

Anyone have a brewery on their layout?

What structures do you have and can you post a track diagram showing how they are serviced?

Thanks,
Kevin

I have one planned, but it won't be a huge complex. More the size of a micro but dated back to the early part of the century.... maybe! It will be serviced by one stub track that has a capacity of only 2 cars.

I havent recieved it yet, but I will be constructing it from this kit...

heljan-vintage-ho-678-brewery-malt-house-new-sealed_380309522488.jpg

322-807.jpg

I will probably be using a cut down version of the main building that will quite severly reduce its size. I will keep you abreast of its construction once that process begins. But as stated earlier, it will only be serviced by a single 2 car stub end track. Materials in by train and product out by both train and truck as there will be a truck dock separete from the train dock and located at one end rather than the rail side.

I just started those same two buildings this last weekend. I was thinking of posting the build, but who wants to know how to build a styrene kit? I'll be using them on a 2x4 module I've just committed to so I'll only have room for a couple of spur tracks. Maybe a small furniture company and a door/window factory and maybe a small freight station. I wanted to try to stick in Addams Ave II from DowntownDeco too but may not have the room. We'll see.

Don't have a brewery on my layout, but had a quick look around to look at some prototype pics.

If you look at Port Carbon, PA, using e.g. http://www.bing.com/maps and the bird's eye view there, you can see the tracks at the Yuengling Brewery there - basically looks like this:

yuengling.jpg

OTOH, here is another interesting scene - the Cherry Street team track in Milwaukee where Pabst beer kegs was trans loaded from horse drawn carts to railroad cars:
PBRcherrystyd.JPG

Here are some tracks around the Schlitz Brewery in Milwaukee in the 1950s (Cherry Street team track in left foreground)
Schlitz_1950s_Left.jpg

Another picture showing more of the same area at the same time:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/Beer+Line+Milwaukee+/djs_ank_ak/Beer%2520Line/Schlitz_1950s_Right.jpg#!oZZ7QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fmedia.photobucket.com%2Fimage%2Fbeer%20line%20milwaukee%2Fdjs_ank_ak%2FBeer%20Line%2FSchlitz_1950s_Right.jpg%3Fo%3D7

Lots of ways to model a brewery :)

Smile,
Stein

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also look at Golden, Colorado for the Coors Brewery. They have their own switch engines, which might add a nice touch to your layout.

MR had an article years back (probbly late 80's) of a track plan that had a small Brewery, it wasn't real complicated. I could look into it if you want.

That Heljan Brewery is a awsome and old stand by for any kind of factory. I have two of them kit-bashed on my layout. If you use them against a backdrop, you can stretch them out to be a real large industry.

You may want to tell us more about your space/ need/ want, Kevin. Do you want an entire mega-complex, or a micro-brewery? I built the old Campbell kit 'Bret's Brewery', but maybe it was that I just liked the name.

Cheers- Bret

Ignore the track configuration in this example it is just a copy of another track plan. The Brewery would go somewhere within the area circled in red.

I'm finding that brewery specific structure kits are quite expensive so my plan now is to use other kits to create one or two parts of a small town or regional brewery.

I have some grain silos from an earlier layout which could be part of a building where I can send cars for grain delivery. Nearby I can place another structure with some sort of loading dock for inbound glass/kegs/other and outbound beer to a distant distributor.

I'm looking at no more than two to three tracks for the whole brewery. I don't think I want to take up that entire end of my layout on one industry.

Back