Brass Track

S.D. Unger

Hello
I'm thinking about returning to the hobby after a 25 years of inactivity. I still have all the brass track and turnouts stored away. I believe there are 8 number 8's and some number 6's turnouts and many feet of flex track, several full circles of 22" radius and 18" too. Also many pieces of 9" straights, all atlas - probably code 100. Is this worth using or should I invest in the nickel silver?
Any suggestions?

trust me, nickel silver is sooooooo much worth the expense.

With the price of copper/brass, there might be a few $$ in scrap value on the old stuff. regardless it isn't worth the savings or re-using it.

Okay, just why does everyone say that steel and brass track is junk? My layout is a combination of nickel-silver, steel, and brass, and in all the testing I've done, everything goes like clockwork so long as I keep the track clean. In addition, brass and steel turnouts are usually much less inexpensive (and in my opinion, more reliable) than the Atlas nickel-silver turnouts. :confused:

It's because the average person doesn't clean their track that often. Nickle Silver track allows longer periods between cleanings without problems. Steel and Brass tracks will work just as good but require much more maintenance.
When Brass oxidizes, engines run crappy and track needs cleaning. When nickle silver oxidizes, engines actually run better. Go figure.
That's why brass isn't popular as new track anymore.

My layout is also a combination of nickle-silver, brass, and steel track and I also have very few problems. The caveat is that I have a relatively small layout (15' long by 29" wide with a 4'x4' section on each end) and have applied the "gleam" treatment to all my tracks. Even when I have to clean them, it's only a 10 minute process. If you have a larger layout, all NS track will decrease the amount of times you have to clean track, which can be a burdensome chore with lots of track. .

You could save the rail from the 9" brass tracks and use it for flat car loads. Spray paint them all rust red and lash them to the car with scale size chain.

Back