Boy, did this take awhile!

DjShaggy

Its been a few months, but I finally have an N-scale layout that I am happy with!

WIP.png

The details:
Green = mainline
Blue = elevated track, max 2 inches, grades of 3.2% and 4.4% (yes, I know its high. I'm sure I'll be making fine adjustments to lower the grade as constructions starts.)
Maroon = local traffic
Gray = staging
big gray rectangle = open space

The room that will be used:
trainroom.png

DSC00903.png

Its about 11 feet from the corner to the couch, hopefully leaving me enough room to get around the wide end. The best part of this location is that the bar is just to the left of the first picture, and the bathroom is right next to it.

just as an afterthought, I plan on raising the mainline that circles the yard about 1/2 inch to give some depth and separation.

Now I actually get to go to the hardware store and get working!

The only things I see that might be issues are possible reach issues, which you noted, and there are quite a few "S" curves to be careful about (truck mounted couplers should help with that). Other then that, it's a real nice plan! The scenery possibilities are great!

Thanks! I was worried about the S-curves as well, but I felt that there was enough of a straight run to prevent constant derailings. However this is something that will need to be seen to be sure.

Just in case anybody is wondering, this is going to be a modern CP Rail layout with both freight and passenger trains.

Ditto on the CP Rails always enjyed the way it was built across Canada , especially the the wilderness .

The scenic elements of the layout are nice but I think you will end up driving yourself nuts in the switching area and staging. You are requiring yourself way too many moves to do simple tasks. The runarounds are awkward and the exit tracks in staging are too short to get your trains out.

The thing is you are close. You could make a few modifications and it would all fall together. Part of the problem is that your trying to do everything with that one size of Atlas switch and that narrows your possibilities. Railroads don't have that problem. They build what they need.

wip2.gif

I offset that first set of industry tracks to save money. To leave them straight would have required two double slips that run over $100 a piece. Instead you'll need a couple crossings.

SpaceMouse: The switching area is where I had the most problems, and one of the reasons I was never happy with my designs. I found myself looking at shelf layouts and trying to design something based on what I had seen. Thank you for the picture, I think I'll be much happier with what you have laid out. :)

Back