Bowser G1a Hopper Help

modelbob

Administrator
I've bought a dozen of the Bowser G1a hoppers. (Seems like you need at least that many to make anything resembling a coal train...)

So far I'm pretty happy with the cars. The first couple take me about 1/2 hour each to put together, probably since I've been doing it while also watching/listening to TV.

Assembly, for the most part, is quite straight forward. I like the way they've hidden a couple weights under the slope sheet, work's pretty well. The extra thickness isn't really apparent once they're together.

I do have one problem putting these together though. If you visit the bowser page for the cars and look very closely, you will see an air resevoir nestled under the slope sheet on the left side. Here's the link, look directly under the "PE" in Pennsylvania. http://www.bowser-trains.com/hogla.php

Notice the two small projections sticking out of the air tank. You can't really tell what they are, but you can see there's something there, which is good enough for this discussion.

Now, here's my problem... If I put that tank on before inserting the center sill under the hopper, the frame won't go on since those two fins stick out beyond the frame a bit.

So, I tried installing the center sill and then putting the air tank on. Notice how close the slope sheet is to the top of the air tank. Since there's a small lug that fits into a positioning hole, you have to press the tank down into it, but you can't because the slope sheet is in the way.

Now maybe I could hire a surgeon to slip that puppy in there on his day off, but I have to wonder how I'm supposed to do it! Any suggestions? I tried using some tweezers but didn't have any luck. I may try an angled pair.

(My solution on the first car was crude but effective, I simply filed the fins off, you can barely seem them anyway.... But I'd really prefer to have them there, as I think that they represent small valves on the real tank.)

:D You knew darn well who would post the first reply to this thread :D

Okay...I've noticed the same problem and here's what I've learned. When you cut the tank off of the sprew, leave the pin a bit long. Then place the brake components in the holes on the frame as would normally, but this time don't glue the tank in place yet (you can glue the others though). Let the tank sit up high (see pic 1). Then when you go to snap the frame onto the body, place the tank side in first (see pic 2) and you should have enough clearance between the tank and the frame. Once the frame is in place you can just reach in with your tweezers or a screw driver and push the tank down flush with the frame and glue the pin in place from the underside (and trim it if you so desire).

That trick works just fine. (As you mention, putting it into the final position doesn't since it hits when you try to insert it.)

If you know anyone at Bowser ;) you might suggest they put that into the instructions...

Back