Bouncing around ideas

txaggie08

Still in the process of cleaning my new space up, but would like some input on my ideas. I'll be honest, I just got some firm measurements tonight, but have a layout in mind I've wanted to do for years and years...

My general premise is to model the gulf coast where I grew up, from the very west of edge of Louisiana(sabine pass) to galveston. Beaumont has a very distinctive falling trestle bridge I would like to model, and there's a TON of large industry, from grain to oil to model, where galveston is a major rail head and port. I'd like to stick to the time between diesel and steam, as I enjoy both types of rail, but if necessary I will go more towards diesel and fudge a few steamers on every now and then.

here's the space I have to use:

room.png

My general premise will be to use the alcove(dormer window) as "galveston", with a dock/ship area, and a yard. I will leave that area, and go around the wall, hopefully no more than 2 feet in most places, with industries spread out along the lines, ending in "beaumont". Beaumont has one of the largest switching/yards in this part of the county, so I will have to include that.

I think N scale will be my best bet, I'm big on content rich scenery, and long trains/run times. I do want to make it a "full circle" track, that will have an "east and west" bound main(that's how they run here). I'm mainly interested in building it(the reality is I may tear it down and start over when it's done), but would also like a setup where I can turn it on and just "let it run" and watch the trains while reading, or tinkering.

Am I biting off more than I want to chew with this? Is my design conceptually sound?how far away should I plan on my trackwork being from the walls for the longer runs? I was thinking that, for the mains, 10" would be sufficient, widening out as necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's the entrance located to the room? I don't think you can use the entire dormer due to lengths of reach, etc, so you might be looking at a duckunder or something there if you build a "donut". Maybe I'm perceiving your idea incorrectly.

I'm finishing a part of my basement for a 14X14 around-the-walls HO and plan on most benchwork being 18 inches wide or less, although an industry or yard might go out to 2 feet wide. Still sketching out ideas.

The entrance is on the left hand wall, which will probably fall into one of my long runs. I'd planned to make that a lift out bridge or track section, to allow normal door function and access to the closets.

I can see a 30" depth in the dormer, especially if I don't run rails quite that far back, meaning I don't need to reach in as far. I doubt I will go to the full 33 however, probably limiting it to 24-28.

I'm liking the n scale for inside, but man it's a fight not to do a nice garden railway......that g scale sure is pretty stuff!

Back